Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Quality Teak Oil

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi folks, need to refinish my grans old teak table now that i've removed years of cheap teak oil layers from it. Can someone point me in the direction of a good quality teak oil?

Many thank yous :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hi folks, need to refinish my grans old teak table now that i've removed years of cheap teak oil layers from it. Can someone point me in the direction of a good quality teak oil?

Many thank yous :)

Things have moved on a bit with finishes. Teak oil doesn't give much protection and takes weeks to dry properly.
    If you want a hardwearing finish I'd apply polyurethane but with a high quality brush.That makes all the difference.
    If you want to stick with teak oil you will find Rustins oil in all the chain stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

recipio wrote: »
    Things have moved on a bit with finishes. Teak oil doesn't give much protection and takes weeks to dry properly.
    If you want a hardwearing finish I'd apply polyurethane but with a high quality brush.That makes all the difference.
    If you want to stick with teak oil you will find Rustins oil in all the chain stores.
    have you a source for this?

LoveCoke wrote: »
    have you a source for this?

:D Google is your friend .......... there are plenty of reports of teak oil needing weeks to polymerize and tung oil is even worse.
    A lot depends on the brand, air temperature and technique. The trick with all oils is to give them time to penetrate and then wipe off any excess. I use Danish oil if I need an oil finish but its hard work.You are aware that rags can self combust if left in a ball so spread them out in a safe place after use. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

recipio wrote: »
    :D Google is your friend .......... there are plenty of reports of teak oil needing weeks to polymerize and tung oil is even worse.
    A lot depends on the brand, air temperature and technique. The trick with all oils is to give them time to penetrate and then wipe off any excess. I use Danish oil if I need an oil finish but its hard work.You are aware that rags can self combust if left in a ball so spread them out in a safe place after use. ?
    rustin i use and find it dries - to the touch anyway - in a few hours

LoveCoke wrote: »
    rustin i use and find it dries - to the touch anyway - in a few hours

:) All oils tend to give a dull lacklustre finish.For a hardwearing surface have a look at the famous Sam Maloof finish - 1/3 oil 1/3 varnish and 1/3 mineral spirits. Its even commercially available in the US. Lots of info on Google.

• Advertisement
Advertisement