Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celestron 15 x 70 Skymaster Porro - Tripod adapter required?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am about to buy these for from here for a bit of basic stargazing. They seem the best balance between magnification/ exit pupil length for my budget (and from the very basics I know about!). However oweing to their size, I realise a tripod is probably best. If so - do I also need to buy an adapter for this model?

Thanks!
    km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

these are very good binos.I actually have them myself and absolutely loving them.
    To answer the question, yes you will need an adapter to mount on the tripod.you can get them from eBay for a few quid.well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

thanks for that! I will have a look - Are there any particular types or are they all generic "L adapters"? I am going for a weekend in the middle of nowhere next week and would be good to get all ordered by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I got a pair of those a few years ago and the tripod bracket supplied was very flexible in the horizontal plane. I put up with it for a while till i made up a short steel one and used a 1/4 bsw bolt to connect it to the binos and drilled and tapped a 1/4bsw hole in the bottom to fit to the tripod. Short enough to leave on permanently and still fit in the bag. Very solid and well worth the 20 mins it took to make!
    I'll have a look for the original bracket if you're interested.

Well mine didn't came with the L adapter.They are fairly light so just about any adapter will do the job.If I remember right I got one for 8e plus shipping.Ofcourse if you have the tools to meek one yourself go for it,it will do exact the same job.

Thanks all,

Will order the binos and also get an L adapter - I guess they are all standard enough?

Sounds like for less than a tenner the extra adapter wont go to waste as if it does come with one it will be flimsy!

Would like to make one.. but no tool, time or ability :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opticron-Tripod-Mount-Adaptor-Binoculars/dp/B005F51HE8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360164391&sr=8-2

This should do the job. In the comments people have left, a few of them have the exact same bins as you and they find them very good. I have a smaller adaptor for my 10x50 bins which is made by the same company and it does the job perfectly and is sturdy/well made. Tripod mounting your bincoulars is a must and the extra detail you get from having them on a steady base rather than holding them in your hands is huge.

^^^^^^
    That one looks a lot like the one i made, only better looking.:pac:

Well.. all ordered and should arrive early next week :)

What would be good to look at next weekend (although now I have ordered I bet there will be the thickest ever covering of cloud!!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

km991148 wrote: »
    What would be good to look at next weekend (although now I have ordered I bet there will be the thickest ever covering of cloud!!)?
    Jupiter and Orion would be good for starters :)

Well.. all ordered and should arrive early next week :)

Have a look at this handbook.Thats where I have started and got the bug...
    http://www.irishastronomy.org/phocadownload/challenges/ifasbinocularhandbook.pdf
    Plenty of objects to try and find in the night sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Lots of the cheap L-adapters are good, but not great. I got a cheap one for my 15x70s and I've found them to allow a little wobble side to side when looking through them. Certainly an improvement on not having the binoculars on a tripod, however I've used better adapters on better tripods elsewhere that make a real difference.

You'll see so much more detail and more stars when the binoculars are rock steady as opposed to nearly steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Tonight's Sky is a great tool for finding out what's up on any night for naked eye/bins/scope.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Lots of the cheap L-adapters are good, but not great. I got a cheap one for my 15x70s and I've found them to allow a little wobble side to side when looking through them. Certainly an improvement on not having the binoculars on a tripod, however I've used better adapters on better tripods elsewhere that make a real difference.

You'll see so much more detail and more stars when the binoculars are rock steady as opposed to nearly steady.
    I've seen an Instructables how-to on improving that celestron bracket. They filled the sides of it with plastic putty for car repairs etc.

I'd never have thought!

Advertisement