Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you go on the dole even if you are at college??

Options
  • 05-02-2013 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I thought it was just for the unemployed but I have heard now that you can even if you are a student. Not sure what to believe, is it true?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭The Reamer

You must be takin the piss!

No, as far as I know if you are a full time student you cannot claim the dole. Would you not go get a part time job like I did in my day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rox5 wrote: »
    I thought it was just for the unemployed but I have heard now that you can even if you are a student. Not sure what to believe, is it true?
    No you cant. You must be capable of and available for work at all times to be eligible for jobseekers payment.

There are back to education programs but these are only available to those on benefits long term

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kiitycat

no just the back to ed scheme will entitles you keep your dole if your on it long time and qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The only exception being , mature students are allowed sign on during the summer if they cant find work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

The Reamer wrote: »

No, as far as I know if you are a full time student you cannot claim the dole. Would you not go get a part time job like I did in my day?

Kinda hard to do since they are barely any jobs around....

Trust me if I could get a job, I would be asking about the dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

The Reamer wrote: »

To be fair a lot of people who weren't entitled to BTEA did ask themselves the same question these past few months with the whole grant fiasco, or well I certainly did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

hi can anyone find any evidence to prove that mature students can claim benefits during the summer? been looking on citizens advice and cant find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Mature students must present a letter from their college to explain their situation, at least that's what I had to do. And since it wasn't full time work as it was during the summer I was denied.
    I was grand, I had work lined up just not starting straight away. These days they're just looking for a box to tick to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

__oc__ wrote: »
    hi can anyone find any evidence to prove that mature students can claim benefits during the summer? been looking on citizens advice and cant find anything

My friend was advised to go on the dole after he tried to get a grant as a mature student. It surprised me too, but it's true and legit.

Edit, sorry I missed the bit about the summer. I'd have to ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

__oc__ wrote: »

I think people are talking about if you are on BTEA. I can't find anything else.
    Back to Education Allowance is paid in the same way as your current social welfare payment. It is paid for the duration of the course. If you were previously getting a jobseeker's payment, you do not get the Back to Education Allowance during the summer period between academic years. However, you can apply for Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance if you meet the qualifying conditions. You may get BTEA during the summer if you are on work placement or work experience that is an essential part of your course.

My friend said X,Y,Z is not evidence

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im a mature student and got jobseekers last summer, when i couldnt find work, 3 guys in my class did.

They just give you the standard forms and then ask questions to ensure your over the age limit they set for it.
    I wasnt asked to produce a letter from the college but my class mate was.

It took about 2 months to get approved but there was no problem in the end.

This excerpt is taken from welfare site

"JA Disqualification - course of study
    The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :

a.persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    b.mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.
    Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way"

Advertisement