Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enrolling in the Cadets

Options
  • 05-02-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't know whether I am posting in the right forum but just looking for a bit of advice in applying for the cadets. I am currently 23 years of age (24 in August), I have Completed a Level 7 BSc in Building Services & Management, graduating in May 2011. I did my Leaving Certificate in 2007 and only achieved 2 D1's & 1 D3 in Honours, 1 C1 in Oridnary and 2 D3's in Ordinary. I failed Honours Physics :mad: I am currently undergoing a one year Level 5 in Sports and Fitness as we all know there are very little jobs in the Construction Industry :(

Sorry for the big introduction and life story but I am just wondering can anybody tell me would the above satisfy the minimum requirement to apply or would I have to go back an either repeat my Leaving or do my Level 8 Honours Degree.
    I could just apply for the Army Recruits but I really feel the Cadets is for me.

Can anybody tell me are the fitness tests required hard or what do they consist of. I would be fairly fit, playing Football to a High enough standard along with playing Hurling and Rugby.

Sorry for all the questions - Just want to get some advice as I really think the Defence Forces is for me.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

have you looked on www.military.ie ?

All of the questions you have asked can be answered there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

gaatipstr wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I don't know whether I am posting in the right forum but just looking for a bit of advice in applying for the cadets. I am currently 23 years of age (24 in August), I have Completed a Level 7 BSc in Building Services & Management, graduating in May 2011. I did my Leaving Certificate in 2007 and only achieved 2 D1's & 1 D3 in Honours, 1 C1 in Oridnary and 2 D3's in Ordinary. I failed Honours Physics :mad: I am currently undergoing a one year Level 5 in Sports and Fitness as we all know there are very little jobs in the Construction Industry :(

Sorry for the big introduction and life story but I am just wondering can anybody tell me would the above satisfy the minimum requirement to apply or would I have to go back an either repeat my Leaving or do my Level 8 Honours Degree.
    I could just apply for the Army Recruits but I really feel the Cadets is for me.

Can anybody tell me are the fitness tests required hard or what do they consist of. I would be fairly fit, playing Football to a High enough standard along with playing Hurling and Rugby.

Sorry for all the questions - Just want to get some advice as I really think the Defence Forces is for me.

Thanks

AFAIK you dont meet the requirements, you need a minimum of 3 C3s honors in the leaving cert as well as 3 passes or higher or a Level 8 Degree, but contact recruitment but when I went for it that was the requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

AFAIK you dont meet the requirements, you need a minimum of 3 C3s honors in the leaving cert as well as 3 passes or higher or a Level 8 Degree, but contact recruitment but when I went for it that was the requirements.

I think you need the Leaving Cert requirements even if you have a level 8 degree.
    Not 100% sure tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

I think you need the Leaving Cert requirements even if you have a level 8 degree.
    Not 100% sure tho

Yeah I think your right or the GCSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

I have Completed a Level 7 BSc in Building Services & Management, graduating in May 2011. I did my Leaving Certificate in 2007 and only achieved 2 D1's & 1 D3 in Honours, 1 C1 in Oridnary and 2 D3's in Ordinary. I failed Honours Physics :mad: I am currently undergoing a one year Level 5 in Sports and Fitness as we all know there are very little jobs in the Construction Industry :(

I graduated in 2010 and thought the very same. I also applied for the Defence Forces as it was something I always had in my head. I was placed on a panel and instead of hanging around waiting I went to London to meet a mate and ended up working. When the Defence Forces finally came with an offer I turned it down and haven't looked back since.

My advice to you is; you spent all those years to get a qualification, use it. Yes there are feck all options in Ireland, but there are so many other options than Ireland. Really you need to decide what is more important to you 1) The freedom and higher earning potential within the private sector outside of Ireland or 2) relative job security and staying at home within the public sector in Ireland.

Just my two cents.

regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

The fitness test is not hard. Even someone who can't do a single push up can be able to pass the fitness test with about 6 weeks of training.

You have to do
    1.5 mile run in 11:40
    20 push ups in 60 seconds
    20 sit ups in 60 seconds

There is absolutely no excuse for someone failing that. If they do they obviously don't really want to be a soldier.

Advertisement