Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I have malware just from opening an email?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I received an email from a friend's address yesterday with the header Delivery Status Notification (Failure) - ordinarily I would delete such a dodgy-looking email on sight, but in this instance I just saw my friend's name and automatically opened the mail before I looked too closely (silly, I know).

The mail was sent to all of her contacts and is obviously bad news, but there were no attachments to the mail, I did not click any links, and I deleted it as soon as I copped what it was. My question is, is it possible that something could have been installed on my computer simply by opening an email (in Gmail)? Without any attachments or enticing links in the email, is that a plausible route?

I've run a virus scan with McAfee and searched for spyware with Spybot Search and Destroy, which have both come up clean, but I'm kicking myself for being so silly as to have opened it in the first place so I'm feeling very paranoid. Any advice or soothing words would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Delivery Status Notification is normally a mail server responding to a sender that the delivery failed, fairly normal mail, if scans with AV and AM came back clean, I wouldn't be worried, you should be safe enough.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Apparently so, heard that even hovering over the email title can cause damage? I'm a bit skeptical about that one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wanderrr

uch wrote: »
    Delivery Status Notification is normally a mail server responding to a sender that the delivery failed, fairly normal mail, if scans with AV and AM came back clean, I wouldn't be worried, you should be safe enough.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I think it was dodgy (not just a normal failure to send) is that the mail was sent from my friend's account to all of her contacts with that heading, and she has confirmed to me that she was hacked. It definitely wasn't just a regular bounceback.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wanderrr

sumeas wrote: »
    Apparently so, heard that even hovering over the email title can cause damage? I'm a bit skeptical about that one though...

Why do you say "apparently so"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Hasn't happened to me or anyone I know, just heard it and don't believe everything I hear

• Advertisement
Advertisement