Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any difference??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd go for a 7950 instead. It's a better card for the same money. There's some amazing deals going on them at the moment as well. Check out this 1.

XFX 7950 +5 new free games;

Crysis 3
    Bioshock Infinite
    Far Cry 3
    Hitman Absolution
    Sleeping dogs

€256

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7950-double-d-5000mhz-gddr5-gpu-800mhz-dvi-dvi-hdmi-mdp

The stock clocks on this are lower and it won't overclock as well but they do an MSI model with a slightly better cooler and higher stock clocks for €30 more with the same games. The XFX should still go to around 1150+ from 800 stock though. Memory should go to 6-6.5 from 5 as well. You're pushing 680gtx performance there for half the price with 5 new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

I'm very keen on going NVidia simply because I've heard and seen AMD cards fail time and time again and the drivers for the Nvidia cards are much better especially with SLI technology over Crossfire. Yet at that value and for a 3gb card I don't know what to do....

How did you find that deal??

I think you get borderlands 2 with the 660ti also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Believe the Nvidia fanboy hype if you like. I can assure you most of it is total bollox.

There were some driver issues with the 7000 series that have been fixed since release. Crossfire is just as efficient as sli.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/05/far_cry_3_video_card_performance_preview/3#.URGfG6XPS0s

The simple fact is that it currently performs about the same as a 670gtx for a lot less with a far greater games bundle.

Overclock it some and your looking at better than stock or mild factory overclocked 680gtx performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

I must have looked at hundreds of threads over the last week or so about which card to get (nvidia or amd) and the best one seems to be the 7950 sapphire vapor-x so im going for that one it also comes with the five free games which is a bonus but even if it didn't and the nvidia card did id still choose the 7950. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-sapphire-vapor-x-radeon-hd-7950-5000mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-850mhz-1024-cores-dp-dvi-hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

With regards to the 660 Ti, Asus offer very good quality cards, that are quiet. EVGA on the other hand, all they bring to the table is a lifetime warranty, which is great, but not something I'd personally believe is worth it. You should also consider some more manufacturers, such as MSI - their Twin Frozr cards are very cool and can pretty much overclock to more performance than Asus.

Anyway, I agree with BloodBath - AMD's recent drivers really bring their performance right up to Nvidia; thus, you are just buying a name, not really worth it.

The non-Ti version might be something to consider if you're set on Nvidia, don't believe the Ti is worth the extra money, at least if you're on a budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement