Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoke Testing

Options
  • 05-02-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I need to get a smoke test done to try and find where my car is leaking boost, I think some of the air pipes has a pin hole.

Can anyone recommend a garage that does this test. I live in Galway but will travel anywhere to get it done.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

We can do it in Co Laois but I am sure you will find someone closer to you that can do it. Try Fahy's Garage in Oranmore, I'd say there is a good chance they will be able to help you out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any indies doing this in Cork? I've had several hoses replaced but I'm still convinced I'm down on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Galway you can get it done for 20/25 in www.renmoremotors.ie
    I had it done once there when I was fixing an emissions issue.

I won't vouch for their exhaust-ive (pun!) knowledge but they have the equipment...

dahamsta wrote: »
    Any indies doing this in Cork? I've had several hoses replaced but I'm still convinced I'm down on power.

I think Ardfallen Motors have a smoke machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You can buy a kit and apply compressed air too. For 20/25 though, jesus I'd nearly take it in myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

While the Smoke Pro is an excellent machine, it does have its limits. It wont always find a leak on the boost side due to not generating enough pressure.

dieselbug wrote: »
    While the Smoke Pro is an excellent machine, it does have its limits. It wont always find a leak on the boost side due to not generating enough pressure.

Have you got a Smoke Pro or have you got much experience of using one?

In my experience it is only in very isolated cases where it will not find a boost leak, 99% of the time it will show up even small boost leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 12barblues

Fahy's garage in Oranmore do smoke tests. I got one done recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Have you got a Smoke Pro or have you got much experience of using one?

In my experience it is only in very isolated cases where it will not find a boost leak, 99% of the time it will show up even small boost leaks.

I do have a Smoke Pro and as I said earlier, it's an excellent tool for finding leaks.
    But on boost leaks it can throw you. It wont create the same pressure as a turbo, just a fraction at around 1psi, fixed, not adjustable. Some leaks may seal at low pressure and then leak at higher boost pressures.

No question, a great tool, but on testing boost leaks it needs to be compared to a realistic scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Would that Dipetane stuff still work if you had a leak? Obviously you'd only be fooling yourself and hiding the fault.

Also, would a faulty thermostat (suck open) cause a car to fail the smoke test on a diesel? 3.750/m with limit of 3.00/m

• Advertisement

Would that Dipetane stuff still work if you had a leak? Obviously you'd only be fooling yourself and hiding the fault.

Also, would a faulty thermostat (suck open) cause a car to fail the smoke test on a diesel? 3.750/m with limit of 3.00/m

Smoke test in this context doesn't mean an emissions test as per NCT etc, it is an intake system leak test using a machine which fills the system with smoke so that any leaks can be easily detected.

Have a look at the link below for more info:

http://redlinedetection.com/products/smoke-pro-total-tech

Smoke test in this context doesn't mean an emissions test as per NCT etc, it is an intake system leak test using a machine which fills the system with smoke so that any leaks can be easily detected.

Have a look at the link below for more info:

http://redlinedetection.com/products/smoke-pro-total-tech

Understand now after reading the link, not the NCT smoke test thing at all. The Redline looks like a good system for finding leaks etc..

Any thoughts on a faulty stat failing a NCT smoke test (stuck open) on a diesel? Over by the limit by only .750

What was the oil temperature at the time of the test (should be on the report sheet)

What make/model/year/engine?

What was the oil temperature at the time of the test (should be on the report sheet)

What make/model/year/engine?

2005 Saab 1.9tid 16v

Smoke 3.750/m
    Engine/Oil Temperture 102 C
    Limit (Turbo) 3.00/m

Cheers

It is fully up to temperature despite the thermostat being stuck.

However, driving around with the thermostat stuck open could be contributing to the problem as the car will be over-fuelling all the time, replace the 'stat, add some dipetane or similar and give it an 'Italian tune-up' and there is a good chance it will pass.

However, driving around with the thermostat stuck open could be contributing to the problem as the car will be over-fuelling all the time, replace the 'stat, add some dipetane or similar and give it an 'Italian tune-up' and there is a good chance it will pass.

Cheers George. Cleaned EGR valve, new oil and filter, and new thermostat fitted. Bought 5L of Dipetane too. And the Italian tune-up of course. :) Retest this Saturday, so hopefully will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

We have the blue point machine pretty much the same as the smoke pro and its a total gift on intake leaks

It passed.

Smoke 2.340/m

Engine /Oil Temperture 89 C

Limit (Turbo) 3.00/m

:)

Advertisement