Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism - the superbowl ad

Options
  • 05-02-2013 12:07am
    Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭

Seems that those pesky atheists have infiltrated that the most holy of American instituions. That's right, they made a superbowl ad. :eek::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Wow, that must have been expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Yup the Scientology crowd have deep pockets... dubbing the last few seconds of their ad is going to get someone sued to bits.
    Download your copy before they DMCA it off Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 diestblade

The Cult of Dusty is a Very Funny Man

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Gordon wrote: »
    Wow, that must have been expensive!

Not as much as it could have been according to reports of how Scientology actually went about getting the ad on the air.

A 30-second Super Bowl ad cost approximately $3.8 million this year, according to CBS News. But the Church of Scientology likely paid a much lower price.

Explains Business Insider,
    In fact, Scientology did not have an ad in "the" Super Bowl. Rather, it bought local TV advertising is several major spot markets — such as New York and Los Angeles — during breaks saved for regional advertisers and local channel advertising. Thus many people in major metro areas believed they had seen a Super Bowl ad for Scientology when in fact they only saw a much cheaper piece of local TV advertising.

Full story on Huffington Post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Isn't that ad just a rip off of the Apple Think Differently ones from the late 90s?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

fitz0 wrote: »
    Isn't that ad just a rip off of the Apple Think Differently ones from the late 90s?

Thought the same thing as I gained a sudden urge to buy an iPhone....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

fitz0 wrote: »

A religion ripping off older ideas and making them their own. Who'd have thunk it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

A religion ripping off older ideas and making them their own. Who'd have thunk it!!!

But it's not a religion as most on here are at pains to point out. Or is this an attempt to be sarcastic?

Btw, it is a great ad. As stated it would have cost big money but reading the other article it states that the advertising was bought as local advertising in certain large cities such as New York thus reducing the cost which must have still been significant. I would say they would hope that it will be effective through the discussion it generates rather than sustained airings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Great ad. Disappointing sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Dades wrote: »
    Great ad. Disappointing sponsors.

Great ad?
    Can't say i agree, it's pretentious as hell and basically just someone reaming off empty platitudes and marketing speak...

Still it's better than the sponsor :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The vacuousness is overwhelmed by the good-looking [people] and excellent production values. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Sorry, what am i missing about this? There are references to Scientology and to sponsors, but no evidence of any of this in the ad. After about the third post this seems to have turned into a different thread. Can anyone explain?

Reading again, is it that Scientology has made an ad and then someone has doctored the last few seconds? Maybe someone could clarify this?

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

fisgon wrote: »
    Sorry, what am i missing about this? There are references to Scientology and to sponsors, but no evidence of any of this in the ad. After about the third post this seems to have turned into a different thread. Can anyone explain?

Reading again, is it that Scientology has made an ad and then someone has doctored the last few seconds? Maybe someone could clarify this?

My bad. The vid I started the thread with what is a Scientology ad with the end altered to change it to a vid for atheism. I (wrongly) presumed that most would be aware of the Scientology ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Did you not notice that the voice at the end is totally different to the voice over for the whole rest of the video?
    Yeah it's a modified scientology ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jimd2 wrote: »
    But it's not a religion as most on here are at pains to point out. Or is this an attempt to be sarcastic?

I think the reference was in relation to Scientology as opposed to atheism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

koth wrote: »
    My bad. The vid I started the thread with what is a Scientology ad with the end altered to change it to a vid for atheism. I (wrongly) presumed that most would be aware of the Scientology ad.

Ok, thanks. I've never seen a Scientology ad before, wasn't even aware that they existed. Is familiarity with Scientology ads common knowledge that I have somehow missed out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Re: the ad itself; It's quite shoddily cobbled together at the end. How did nobody notice the cheeky edit before it went to air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Did it actually air like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I was about to say it really reminds me of a Scientology video before I saw it actually is one! Their videos must have a certain kind of ooze that I'm not consciously aware of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Standman wrote: »
    I was about to say it really reminds me of a Scientology video before I saw it actually is one! Their videos must have a certain kind of ooze that I'm not consciously aware of

Its called money, lots of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This is the original Scientology ad, the same except no dodgy edit at the end.

Pretty obviously not an atheist ad, I don't know any atheist organisation which would present "truth" in that fashion. Initially I thought it was going to be a Creationist ad (teach the controversy! Make up your own mind!), but not surprising to see it is Scientology. The only truth that matter is what matters to you. Yeah, keep telling yourselves that guys

Advertisement