Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM-Q

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All

I have purchased a HKC GSM-Q card to fit into my Quantum 70 wireless alarm

It comes with an O2 sim but disturbingly accompanied by a contract looking for direct debit details and a €9+ per month charge. Firstly I would like to use a Vodaphone sim and secondly I certainly don't want to sign up for a contract. The supplied sim has 2 weeks before it becomes unusable. Can I register the O2 sim privately or do I have to use the contract company?....In other words as it stands is this their sim? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

Stinky45 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have purchased a HKC GSM-Q card to fit into my Quantum 70 wireless alarm

It comes with an O2 sim but disturbingly accompanied by a contract looking for direct debit details and a €9+ per month charge. Firstly I would like to use a Vodaphone sim and secondly I certainly don't want to sign up for a contract. The supplied sim has 2 weeks before it becomes unusable. Can I register the O2 sim privately or do I have to use the contract company?....In other words as it stands is this their sim? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Firstly you will need engineer access to the alarm to add the GSM.
    A ready to go sim will work the sim as the bill one that is supplied with the GSM.
    It just needs to be topped up and used every 6 months to keep it active. I would suggest getting the sim, registered the sim on line get the code to check and top up on line. Saves you ever have to go near the sim again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

Hi Altor

Very prompt and a great help

I have the enginneer code so I should be OK...I have instaled everything in the last two weeks and all has gone very well ...touch wood!

I do have a land line but it is vulnerable and could be pulled down. Anyway didn't want SKY, Modem and House phone all on the same line as the alarm.

If I understand your message I can remove the existing sim (dump it?) replace it with a Ready-to-Go of my own choosing and follow the GSM-Q installation. I take your point about keeping it active...i have read somewhere that I can use a text to engineer which is a silent option that will keep the sim active....is this still an option with the latest GSM-Q?

Thanks in advance

Hi Altor

Very prompt and a great help

I have the enginneer code so I should be OK...I have instaled everything in the last two weeks and all has gone very well ...touch wood!

I do have a land line but it is vulnerable and could be pulled down. Anyway didn't want SKY, Modem and House phone all on the same line as the alarm.

If I understand your message I can remove the existing sim (dump it?) replace it with a Ready-to-Go of my own choosing and follow the GSM-Q installation. I take your point about keeping it active...i have read somewhere that I can use a text to engineer which is a silent option that will keep the sim active....is this still an option with the latest GSM-Q?

Thanks in advance

Thats correct re the sim card. That is what most people do with the bill sim provided. There is a test option. The test start and test period need to be set up for this to function.

Fair play to you...much appreciated

Fair play to you...much appreciated

Your welcome, any other problems or questions you know where we are :D

• Advertisement

In order to install the GSM-Q pcb into the wireless Quantum 70 I notice the unit must be powered down...both mains and battery.

Does this action cause the unit to lose the IDs for the sensors and the zones they are attached to Part A & Part B. Or is the memory chip holding the data programmed in a non volatile way? :confused:

I'm just thinking ahead and want to avoid what is obvious to some but not to me:)

In order to install the GSM-Q pcb into the wireless Quantum 70 I notice the unit must be powered down...both mains and battery.

Does this action cause the unit to lose the IDs for the sensors and the zones they are attached to Part A & Part B. Or is the memory chip holding the data programmed in a non volatile way? :confused:

I'm just thinking ahead and want to avoid what is obvious to some but not to me:)

It wont loose any programming unless you default the system so you will be ok powering the system down. You will need version 3 to add the GSM-Q

When saying Version 3 ....I hope you mean software version 3 like the sticker says on the box??

Sorry I wasn't clear....software version 3 like it says on the Quantum 70 box

Sorry I wasn't clear....software version 3 like it says on the Quantum 70 box

Yes, that is correct. Anyone with older versions will need there system flashed with the latest software for the GSM-Q to work.

• Advertisement

It's intriguing stuff...reading the manual over and over.

I have a landline but it would easily be pulled down...also it carries SKY telephoney, Eircom Broadband and Home phone. So this is the main reason I go with GSM-Q to avoid conflicts and of course the line is attackable.

Hi Altor
    A colleague and I are installing the Quantum 70 System at each of our homes...I was sharing your info from last evening and another question arises that you may be able to advise on. It is this...when installing the GSM-Q board into the panel you are instructed to "Power Down" both mains and battery. Do you have to take the SAAB off your system through the programs first. We thought that it might go into tamper mode when no signal supported by mains or battery power is detected.

Hi Altor
    A colleague and I are installing the Quantum 70 System at each of our homes...I was sharing your info from last evening and another question arises that you may be able to advise on. It is this...when installing the GSM-Q board into the panel you are instructed to "Power Down" both mains and battery. Do you have to take the SAAB off your system through the programs first. We thought that it might go into tamper mode when no signal supported by mains or battery power is detected.

There is no need to do that.
    The system will be only powered down for a few minutes when installing the GSM-Q.

Again much appreciated...solid advice from one who knows and importantly willing to share...thanks

Again much appreciated...solid advice from one who knows and importantly willing to share...thanks

Your welcome, always happy to help if I can..

Hi Altor

Just to say thank you again....installed the GSM-Q at the weekend and all is fully functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TrickyB

I've just been reading this thread and was wondering if you might be able to help me. We had a GSM-Q alarm installed back in February 2014 with a pay as you O2 sim in it. Unfortunately before we installed the sim we didn't sign up to the online paying system to top up and I now need to get the sim out so that I can do this. I thought I could unscrew the lid on the panel but when I do the alarm starts beeping and says tamper mode. Do you know how I can get the sim out?
    Many thanks.

TrickyB wrote: »
    I've just been reading this thread and was wondering if you might be able to help me. We had a GSM-Q alarm installed back in February 2014 with a pay as you O2 sim in it. Unfortunately before we installed the sim we didn't sign up to the online paying system to top up and I now need to get the sim out so that I can do this. I thought I could unscrew the lid on the panel but when I do the alarm starts beeping and says tamper mode. Do you know how I can get the sim out?
    Many thanks.

You need to down power the system. Mains first, then battery when you open the system. It will beep to indicate a power and mains fault but putting in your code will stop this. Take out the sim and put it in a phone to set up on line. When set up, put back in sim, power up on battery, again put in your code. Close up the control panel and turn back on the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TrickyB

Hi Altor
    Many thanks for your advice. All worked and we have the sim set up online now.
    Thanks again

TrickyB wrote: »
    Hi Altor
    Many thanks for your advice. All worked and we have the sim set up online now.
    Thanks again

Your welcome, glad you got it sorted :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement