Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Ready boost

Options
  • 04-02-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

Hi, Ive started using a USB to boost my ram on an aging 2GB Vista laptop. This actually works brilliant for transfering photos/files and for video editing. But it will only work once,
    Every time i restart the comp the USB does not have the same affect but still has 4gb caches in a ready boost file. I cannot delete this file either and then have to delete it off on another PC.
    So what are my options ??????? please dont suggest upgrading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Check your laptop's support site and see what RAM it takes and stick in another 2GB module...not that expensive..I would recommend at least 3GB RAM on a Vista System

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

I think i checked before and the ram is not upgradeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Notch000 wrote: »
    I think i checked before and the ram is not upgradeable

How? What model laptop, I'd be very surprised if it didn't take 4GB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How? What model laptop, I'd be very surprised if it didn't take 4GB
    a lot of netbooks will only see 2GB , chipset limitation :(

But double check - a lot of the older IBM's thinkpad (for example) can take more RAM than the official spec says.

Another option is to use SSD but pricey.

Perhaps a larger USB drive ?

Or look into other vista tweaks - see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391630

and if you don't have at least 15% free space on your HDD then look into that too

Advertisement