Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Grants

Options
  • 04-02-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I'm just wondering what are all the grants available to people who are starting college in September? HEAR and SUSI seem to be the two most common ones but there must be more than that out there. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

HEAR isn't a grant.
    SUSI is the national grants body in Ireland.
    The only other form of grant you could get is a scholarship from a college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

I'm going to assume that by grant you meant financial help?

Well you're dead right, you've got the HEAR scheme, I think you should be sending out your applications some time soon and the amount you get from the HEAR scheme (if you are accepted of course) varies for each college. For example I am in NUIG and I got a €240 book token, whereas my friend in UCD got €500 ish in cash.

SUSI is the grant authority. I really can't give you much more advice on it than send in everything way before the deadline, and pray that you don't have to wait until your college year is almost over to get your grant. :o

There is the Student Assistance Fund. As far as I know every college has one. In NUIM, from what I've heard, they give you this SAF money along with your HEAR scheme money. You can apply for this when you are in college, but not before.

There is also the Student Hardship Fund. I got this fund for living in a poor area, so you should look up whether your area counts too.

Any other questions let me know, I'm in my first year of college and I know more about grants and applications and funds than any human should have to. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are applying for HEAR, make sure you request your social welfare information in plenty of time. It can take up to 6 weeks to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Murphy92

Thanks a million chocolatechips! Just wondering does that Student Hardship Fund have a website? I've been searching with a while with no luck!

And how do you find NUIG? I was studying Psychology in DCU but left it a few months back, hated the course, loved the college. Keeping NUI open as possible place to study. :)

Advertisement