Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is "New Retail Geography"

Options
  • 04-02-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Can someone give me a brief outline of what this actually entails? I have to use it for a dissertaion (analysing retail) and tbh I'm struggling to grasp it. I'm currently reading about it but can't find anything to succintly explain it in a fairly simple way.

It would be nice to get a braoad overview to understand it as I read

Something about restructuring of retail capital and culture since the 1990s. It's basen on stuff written by Wrigley and Lowe (University of Southamption) around 1996-2002

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

A quick Google search threw up this article(PDF), in which the authors summarise some of the writings of Wrigley & Lowe thus:
    ..during the past decade research into retail regulation has become one of the key themes in the ‘new retail geography’ (Lowe and Wrigley, 1996). Writing in 1996 Lowe and Wrigley argued that academics studying retailing had been “remarkably silent about regulation and the complex and contradictory relations of capital with the regulatory state”. Six years later the same authors (Wrigley and Lowe, 2002) were able to guide their readers through the debates and literature that had characterised a lively and theoretically informed interest in regulation during the intervening period. However Crewe (2000) has noted that a good deal of the work published on the relationship between the regulatory state and retailing has “remained empirically partial” in that it has focused upon the food industry and food retailing in particular and more generally upon the retailing of goods rather than services.

Is that any use?

Advertisement