Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs with an Accounting Degree?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if one was to complete a degree in Accounting what options would be open work-wise, either at home or abroad.

Is it necessary to go on and complete ACCA or CIMA exams to gain a professional accounting qualification or is there jobs for people with just the degree?

Thanks

Comments

There are jobs available in say AP, AR, Funds - they would be transaction processing or administration with wages to match.

Have a look at salary surveys to get an idea of what might be available:
    http://www.brightwater.ie/documents/brightwater_salary_surveys_ROI_2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Abracastabya

I take it part qualified is someone with a degree then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

There are jobs available in say AP, AR, Funds - they would be transaction processing or administration with wages to match.

Have a look at salary surveys to get an idea of what might be available:
    http://www.brightwater.ie/documents/brightwater_salary_surveys_ROI_2013.pdf

Would I be right in saying those salaries would be the higher end of the scale? Otherwise, I'm getting screwed

What are you doing, collegeme?

What are you doing, collegeme?

I have a first class hons accounting and finance degree and have been working in a small practice almost 3years now. I am doing aca but taking my time as I have family commitments.
    I went back as a mature student and have years and years bookkeeping/admin experience. The salaries out there can be shockingly low.
    I am half thinking of registering with brightwater.

• Advertisement

In short it's not necessary to go on to an accountancy professional qualification.
    You can use your degree as another poster said, to work in accounts payable/receivable etc. the salary is decent but the downside is that it will unlikely go above a certain level. That's the reason I chose to go further but while doing so have had to sacrifice a decent salary if that makes sense.

Did you do your degree as a mature student?

That's what I'm doing now, going in Sept. as a mature student, and would like to try get into some work straight after I get the degree if I can manage getting that far, so was just wondering what options were rather than going straight into a professional qualification..

Did you do your degree as a mature student?

That's what I'm doing now, going in Sept. as a mature student, and would like to try get into some work straight after I get the degree if I can manage getting that far, so was just wondering what options were rather than going straight into a professional qualification..

Yes, did the degree as a mature student. Loved the degree. If you have no accounts experience I would look a trying to get a little something part time. In first year of college you may have 1full day a week off, this could be used to get practical working experience but this may not be easy to get.

Lots of options after the degree. But, the degree alone won't get you an excellent paying job to start, with no experience.
    Once you have the degree though, you could go for junior accounts assistant or payroll junior in any company and work your way up.

No I have no accounting experience, I would love to try gain some but it could be hard. Did you find the degree difficult?

I know it will be challenging, I'm looking forward to starting it, just thinking would it be hard at 27 to get stuck into it. And, don't really want to be unemployed in three years time having to study for another possible three years to gain another qualification..

I know you have to do three years work experience in accounts to gain the full qualification, I imagine in this economic climate that could be hard to get..

I reckon getting any work experience in first year or even over the summer without experience would be difficult though..

No I have no accounting experience, I would love to try gain some but it could be hard. Did you find the degree difficult?

I know it will be challenging, I'm looking forward to starting it, just thinking would it be hard at 27 to get stuck into it. And, don't really want to be unemployed in three years time having to study for another possible three years to gain another qualification..

I know you have to do three years work experience in accounts to gain the full qualification, I imagine in this economic climate that could be hard to get..

I reckon getting any work experience in first year or even over the summer without experience would be difficult though..

Where are you?
    I found the degree grand overall but I was coming from a bookkeeping background. The maths was tough to get back into but use all the help that the lecturers are offering and make the most of the degree.
    I felt I was more focused at 25 than the younger crowd rather than the other way round.
    You'll always have the degree so it wouldn't be wasted in my opinion. But, I really feel that you get more out of it if you really listen and learn everything rather than just aiming to pass...that has stood to me, big time.
    I see lots of jobs out there not requiring professional qualfication. The degree fully exempts you from accounting technician iati, so you could look for roles in that field.
    If you are serious about getting experience, what about offering your time for free in exchange for experience for the one day a week?

• Advertisement

I'm in Galway.

Wasn't aware of the exemptions for IATI, that could be handy.

I'm just hearing all these horror stories about the low pass rates for the likes of CIMA and that.
    Where did you attend college when you went back?

Offering my time for free for experience would definitely be an option, but where to start?

Thanks for your replies by the way, it's not easy to find someone who was in a similar situation to what I'm in now

I take it part qualified is someone with a degree then ?
    Generally no - you would need to have a substantial part of your professional exams done with say two years experience to be considered for part qualified jobs.

Edit: There is no strict definition I am aware of though.

Advertisement