Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipp FM - BAI Complaint upheld

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Taken from http://www.thejournal.ie

Trouble for ‘Tipp Today’

A complaint against Tipp FM’s ‘Tipp Today’ radio show was the other complaint upheld in the most recent round of complaints; a show from August 16 was found to have acted insensitively in dealing with a complaint from a listener with a disability.
    The show had been running a text message competition to win tickets to the county’s All-Ireland hurling semi-final with Kilkenny, and had received a text from a blind listener who complained that an SMS-format competition excluded blind listeners who could not send a text.
    The presenter had remarked, “But if she’s visually impaired, how would she be able to see the match? You know, I mean would it be worth her while entering the competition?”
    The same show also broadcast a text message where it was claimed that an African immigrant had had their hair braided in a cultural style for €300, a fee paid for by a HSE welfare officer.
    Though the station claimed it had broadcast responses from a welfare officer and a staff member from an African newspaper, who said the story was untrue, it was found not to met the fairness, objectivity and impartiality requirements of the Broadcasting Act.
    It was also found to have failed to ensure that content did not prejudice respect for human dignity, as the complaints committee took the view that the item could encourage prejudice towards some members of Tipperary’s African community.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

What an absolute joke of a station that is. As for the presenter of that “Tipp Today” how that man is allowed present a show is a mystery, he hasn’t a clue and like to be a smart arse in to the bargin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I don't see the problem with what he said?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't see the problem with what he said?

Damn right. I mean, visually impaired people can't enjoy sporting events. That's just a sad fact. We just like to sit in dark rooms and not go anywhere. :rolleyes:

The texter was wrong to complain about it the SMS format of the competition, but that doesn't excuse that ridiculous comment by the presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Reminds me of the time a mate took his GF to a rugby match for the first time, afterwards he asked her did she enjoy it, and she said 'yeah... but why was there no commentary?'

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

bbability wrote: »
    The show...had received a text from a blind listener who complained that an SMS-format competition excluded blind listeners who could not send a text.

I find this part strange. Poor taste from the presenter all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

Tipperary is a county who's electorate return both Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowry.
    Consequently, the standard of broadcasting required by the Hillbilly masses would not seem to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Who is presenting Tipp Today on Tipp FM? Is it still that Seamus Martin chap? He always seemed far too sensible to come out with this sort of statement.

Knutsack, it is really strange and maybe deliberately provocative of you to reduce this to a criticism of Tipperary people. Both of these men recorded votes of about 12% of the population of Tipperary.

You might as well be using these men's elections to parliamentary office to lambaste Irish voters in general. Pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

Must be perception so.

I meant to add to that list 'Pizza prankster' Toss Hayes and 'I'm going to build a TGV from Nenagh to Ballybrophy for nine extra passengers a week' Alan Kelly.

Yes indeed, between these characters and the De Valera owned Tipp FM, Tipperary folk get what Tipperary folk deserve.

This is a station that has in the past led the Monday morning sports news with an international Cricket story not involving Ireland, despite a full programme of Senior Club GAA Championship matches having been played the previous afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

tipptopper wrote: »
    What an absolute joke of a station that is. As for the presenter of that “Tipp Today” how that man is allowed present a show is a mystery, he hasn’t a clue and like to be a smart arse in to the bargin.
    he claims to be an award winning journalist, what did he win an award for?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

Who is presenting Tipp Today on Tipp FM? Is it still that Seamus Martin chap? He always seemed far too sensible to come out with this sort of statement.

it's him

• Advertisement
Advertisement