Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to download official Windows 8 ISO?

Options
  • 03-02-2013 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hello guys,

Want to replace the HDD in my laptop with an SSD, have tried using the samsung recovery software to create a bootable recovery disk but no joy. I've tried to get my hands on an official Windows 8 ISO using the various tricks thrown up by google but nothing seems to work for me. Has anyone managed to track down an ISO?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Microsoft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

mitosis wrote: »
    Microsoft?

Officially they don't provide ISOs for download without a retail license key. I don't particularly want to buy another license when I already have an OEM key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wakeLift

If you're in college in an IT course, or know anyone who is they can probably register as a student on DreamSpark and get the ISO from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cheers for that, looks like a valid retail product key is needed though. My OEM key won't work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

So, from what I hear there is no key available to you. That oem key that you might have jellybeaned out of the system is on a truck load of other computers also ( should be interesting for business license inspections!). Another one of microsoft's ridiculous anti piracy attempts. People who upgrade to windows 8 from a previous operating system had the option of downloading the iso as part of the upgrade advisor install. But this was for windows 8 pro and will not work for you. The key (I think ) is tied in some way with the bios of your machine. I wonder could you just "ghost" your original hard drive onto your new SSD using Clonzilla? That's what I did when I was upgrading my stock 320gb to a 500gb drive. All that was left for me was to resize the partition out to the max size of the new drive. I have a feeling you might have to shrink your volume to match the SSD before you start.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's no reason to assume that the UEFI embedded keys for OEM Win8 installs are the same on all machines - it's just Microsoft switching from having the key on a CoA sticker on the underside of the machine to embedding it in the firmware.

The problem here is not to do with access to the key, it's access to the installation media. Which is basically a conversation between the OP and the vendor of the kit.

OP, have you contacted Samsung Support about the problems you've experienced creating a bootable recovery disc? I've had similar problems with the Toshiba bootable recovery disc utility for Windows 7, it's a waste of feckin' time as all the disc does is invoke the on-HDD recovery partition :rolleyes:. You never know, you might get someone helpful at Samsung who can sort you out :)

So, from what I hear there is no key available to you. That oem key that you might have jellybeaned out of the system is on a truck load of other computers also ( should be interesting for business license inspections!). Another one of microsoft's ridiculous anti piracy attempts. People who upgrade to windows 8 from a previous operating system had the option of downloading the iso as part of the upgrade advisor install. But this was for windows 8 pro and will not work for you. The key (I think ) is tied in some way with the bios of your machine. I wonder could you just "ghost" your original hard drive onto your new SSD using Clonzilla? That's what I did when I was upgrading my stock 320gb to a 500gb drive. All that was left for me was to resize the partition out to the max size of the new drive. I have a feeling you might have to shrink your volume to match the SSD before you start.

I could do something like that yes. I managed to extract the recovery WIM from the recovery partition, it doesn't contain any bootable ISOs but does have an image of a Windows installation. Perhaps copying that directly to the SSD will work.

Fysh wrote: »
    There's no reason to assume that the UEFI embedded keys for OEM Win8 installs are the same on all machines - it's just Microsoft switching from having the key on a CoA sticker on the underside of the machine to embedding it in the firmware.

The problem here is not to do with access to the key, it's access to the installation media. Which is basically a conversation between the OP and the vendor of the kit.

OP, have you contacted Samsung Support about the problems you've experienced creating a bootable recovery disc? I've had similar problems with the Toshiba bootable recovery disc utility for Windows 7, it's a waste of feckin' time as all the disc does is invoke the on-HDD recovery partition :rolleyes:. You never know, you might get someone helpful at Samsung who can sort you out :)

Haven't contacted Samsung about the recovery disk. Not sure if it would be worth the hassle, their recovery software is very poorly designed and clearly has not been tested thoroughly. Also could be a problem with the laptop not being able to boot from USB, I managed to track down an RTM ISO and copied it to a USB key with the Windows 7 USB tool but it still didn't work. Perhaps I have the wrong combination of file-system/boot mode but my patience is wearing thin at this stage. I will try copying the recovery Windows installation to the SSD, failing that it looks as if my only other options are to purchase a new license key or go the linux route.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't many SSDs ship with cloning/migration software?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have a look on My Digital Life forums.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cloning is worth a try, the only problem is whether the cloned install will realise it's now on an SSD and enable TRIM (and any other SSD-only functionality).

I still say contact Samsung; their recovery software might be poor, but I don't understand what you'd lose from asking if they'll provide you with working reinstall media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

90- day evaluation version iso. http://www.labnol.org/software/windows-8-download-links/26380/

NOTE: Following the evaluation period, you will need to replace the operating system on your test computer and reinstall all your programs and data. It is not possible to upgrade the evaluation to a licensed working version of Windows 8 Enterprise. A clean installation is required.

sKeith wrote: »

That's not the RTM release, it's the preview version.

Also could be a problem with the laptop not being able to boot from USB, I managed to track down an RTM ISO and copied it to a USB key with the Windows 7 USB tool but it still didn't work.

With Windows 8, you can use Diskpart to partition and format it in FAT32, mark it active, and copy the files from the ISO. That should be enough. NTFS formatted flash drives won't work with native UEFI booting.

Overheal wrote: »
    Don't many SSDs ship with cloning/migration software?

Mine didn't

Karsini wrote: »
    With Windows 8, you can use Diskpart to partition and format it in FAT32, mark it active, and copy the files from the ISO. That should be enough. NTFS formatted flash drives won't work with native UEFI booting.

Had tried it with FAT32 but forgot to mark it active, could well be why the recovery software didn't boot either. Will give that a try, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I managed to track down an RTM ISO and copied it to a USB key with the Windows 7 USB tool but it still didn't work.

A fella in Donegal wrote a fine piece of software that might help, meet Rufus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The Windows 7 USB DVD download tool works with Windows 8 ISO's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The Windows 7 USB DVD download tool works with Windows 8 ISO's too.

I believe, he tried that already... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Torqay wrote: »
    I believe, he tried that already... ;)

Whoops, I missed the UEFI not-working-with-NTFS bit. :o I'll know that in future, handy looking tool btw.

I'm surprised it isn't an option though.

Torqay wrote: »
    A fella in Donegal wrote a fine piece of software that might help, meet Rufus.

Missed that post, looks like a very useful tool, cheers!

Managed to get this working eventually - described here if anyone is interested - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83257544&postcount=11

Fysh wrote: »
    Cloning is worth a try, the only problem is whether the cloned install will realise it's now on an SSD and enable TRIM (and any other SSD-only functionality).

According to this page all that needs to be done when moving or installing Windows 8 to SSD is to run WinSAT. TRIM and other optimisations will be automatically enabled

Advertisement