Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonders of Life BBC Sunday 9pm

Options
  • 03-02-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭

this series is on sunday at 9pm

the first ep was on last week and it was amazing, brian cox really put together things that we've been hearing about over the last few years, using mitrochondria, volcanic water vents and batteries to make the case that life wasn't just acccidental but inevitable. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

the first ep was on last week and it was amazing, brian cox really put together things that we've been hearing about over the last few years, using mitrochondria, volcanic water vents and batteries to make the case that life wasn't just acccidently but inevitable. :cool:

Yes, brilliant stuff! He's so easy to watch that even the kids are interested. Looking forward to tonight's episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Does he travel to some remote and difficult to access part of the world just to illustrate a point. I loved that in his last series. It was 'guess where in world he'd go' for a 2 minute take :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

brian cox really put together things...
    That's Professor Brian Cox to you, he always likes to use the correct title, just in case someone mistakes him for a random backpacking hippie.

What mystifies me is how he gets the funds to travel to such exotic locations, but when he gets there, he doesn't seem to have a bean.
    He seems to start filming towards the end of the holiday, and sits there in a t-shirt drawing pictures in the sand, or moving two empty beer glasses around, to illustrate the finer points of physics.

None of yer fancy Sky News computer graphics, and definitely none of Attenborough's waiting around in a hide for two weeks to get the perfect long range footage of some rare beast.

Still, he's not bad, and all the ladies seem to like watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Wonders of the universe on blu-ray was brilliant. Looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the heads up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Watched ten minutes of last week's one last night -- it looks excellent :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I find Brian Cox just a little creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

There are times I miss having proper telly. I am quite partial to the infinite monkey cage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Why do women go nuts for Prof Brian Cox...apart from his good looks, super intelligence and celebrity status...just don't know what they see in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does he travel to some remote and difficult to access part of the world just to illustrate a point. I loved that in his last series. It was 'guess where in world he'd go' for a 2 minute take :)

TBH that really bugs me. It's great and all, but it pisses me off no end when, on the one hand, they're moaning at me about my carbon footprint and saying stuff like "Who needs two weeks in Corfu? Holiday in your own country and save the environment!" and on the other hand they're jetting presenters around the globe for the sake of a minute's worth of footage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Reminds me of a quote I read recently:
    "I would like to improve the world a bit. I will fly around the world doing good for the environment."
    Yes, it's probably horribly out of context but it made me laugh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume this has been seen by all:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e0_1306355775

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Are his shows designed for Kids and the low brow short attention span masses of unenlightened un-awakened proles.
    I find his manner of communication annoying and his personnel dress sloppy
    Why he is not wearing a tie. An Oldham accent WTF
    What is the carbon footprint of Brian's adventures wandering around the world pointing at things?
    What is his religious beliefs or otherwise?

Not my thing what was wrong with BBC horizon?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mickrock's off-topic posts have been moved to the specious nonsense thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Are his shows designed for Kids and the low brow short attention span masses of unenlightened un-awakened proles.
    I find his manner of communication annoying and his personnel dress sloppy
    Why he is not wearing a tie. An Oldham accent WTF
    What is the carbon footprint of Brian's adventures wandering around the world pointing at things?
    What is his religious beliefs or otherwise?

Not my thing what was wrong with BBC horizon?

Are you being sarcastic or trying to be funny*? I hate people that think a person must be neatly dressed with a tie in order to be credible.

*I use the term funny in the loosest possible sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Is there any way I can watch the first episode of "Wonders of Life" anywhere, I missed it and would really like to see it. I can watch US netflix on my PC if this helps I don't know if it means I can watch anything else. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Is there any way I can watch the first episode of "Wonders of Life" anywhere, I missed it and would really like to see it. I can watch US netflix on my PC if this helps I don't know if it means I can watch anything else. ;)
    BBC iPLayer, if you have access to it.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Dades wrote: »
    I find Brian Cox just a little creepy.

Yeah, in spite of him being super good-looking. I said that to my fella during the first episode and another female friend of ours agreed (although we both think he's gorgeous). It's the constant smiling, even when he's saying something pretty unfunny - which is a tad disturbing, and in body-language terms makes someone look untrustworthy. But it doesn't take away from the brilliant program or how well he explains concepts. Just an observation - I don't think I could look at him for any length of time though!

Advertisement