Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Online gambling project

  • 03-02-2013 12:47am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Here Precious


    Hey all,

    Hope this post is ok here mods. Looking for some ideas ..I'm starting a college dissertation shortly on the Internet / online gambling industry globally..I'm gonna look at trends , risks , characteristics of Internet gamblers, current market overview. Problems etc

    Suppose what I'm looking for guidance here is what should be the key focus of this study?..what burning question needs to be answered that's not already?..maybe it's around legislation.

    I need to come up with a question list for interviews I need to conduct as well as part of this research ? I have a number jotted down myself but it would be great to hear some other people's thoughts on questions to ask interviewees

    Also who should I be targeting to interview?..I need to conduct 8 interviews as part of this research ..I was thinking maybe treatment centres , journalists, gamblers anonymous..any other thoughts on this?

    Mods if ok might stick a survey monkey questionnaire on here in a month or so time.


    Sorry for the long winded post but I'd very much appreciate all your thoughts and ideas in relation to this.

    Thanks

    John


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭ scheister


    Hi John

    what course are you studying ie what angle you looking at. is it from an business point of view ie gambling tax, contribution to the tax take. psychology route mind of as gambler, addict.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Here Precious


    scheister wrote: »
    Hi John

    what course are you studying ie what angle you looking at. is it from an business point of view ie gambling tax, contribution to the tax take. psychology route mind of as gambler, addict.

    Coming at this from a business point of view.. I'm going to examine the global industry from a number of areas...I was thinking maybe as an angle...how can the industry increase its business sustainability ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Prima Radona


    Hey all,

    Hope this post is ok here mods. Looking for some ideas ..I'm starting a college dissertation shortly on the Internet / online gambling industry globally..I'm gonna look at trends , risks , characteristics of Internet gamblers, current market overview. Problems etc

    Suppose what I'm looking for guidance here is what should be the key focus of this study?..what burning question needs to be answered that's not already?..maybe it's around legislation.

    I need to come up with a question list for interviews I need to conduct as well as part of this research ? I have a number jotted down myself but it would be great to hear some other people's thoughts on questions to ask interviewees

    Also who should I be targeting to interview?..I need to conduct 8 interviews as part of this research ..I was thinking maybe treatment centres , journalists, gamblers anonymous..any other thoughts on this?

    Mods if ok might stick a survey monkey questionnaire on here in a month or so time.


    Sorry for the long winded post but I'd very much appreciate all your thoughts and ideas in relation to this.

    Thanks

    John
    I'd suggest you get a balanced perspective from strategic gamblers as well as those who have had bad experiences with problem gambling, etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Here Precious


    I'd suggest you get a balanced perspective from strategic gamblers as well as those who have had bad experiences with problem gambling, etc.

    I have just started this study, it's really fascinating , for the problem gambler it's 24/7 in your face .. No getting away from it..thanks for your comments prima radona I plan to speak with the normal gambler as well as the problem gambler to get both sides of the divide...


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Prima Radona


    I have just started this study, it's really fascinating , for the problem gambler it's 24/7 in your face .. No getting away from it..thanks for your comments prima radona I plan to speak with the normal gambler as well as the problem gambler to get both sides of the divide...
    It's in everybody's face really, something that I'm not happy about, even as somebody who doesn't feel compelled to gamble all the time. Ray Winstone annoys the f*** out ouf me.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭ 3DataModem


    You have some of the biggest gambling companies in the world in Ireland... perhaps speak to them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Here Precious


    3DataModem wrote: »
    You have some of the biggest gambling companies in the world in Ireland... perhaps speak to them?

    There not that easy to pin down to speak too..I have tried to date to make contact with a number of them but the silence is deafening!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭ Motivator


    Gambling is a great subject for a dissertation, I did one on the "impact of Betfair on the industry" 2 years ago. Trying to focus on one aspect of gambling is the hardest part as there are so many choices available to you. Pick a core topic, say for example - the emergence of internet gambling, then take a look at the industry before internet gambling (profit levels of companies etc) & then focus of the emergence of technology in the last couple of years (iPhones, iPads etc). One word of warning, you will find it difficult to get an answer when asking about the problems of a gambling addict. I looked at that angle but found I couldn't get many answers off companies such as Paddy Power or Betfair or answers off any addicts that I wanted to interview. I found all of the companies that I interviewed to be very helpful & they were great with me in terms of interviews, the only problems I encountered was when I went searching for info about addiction. Betfair were great & because I love the gambling industry I loved doing my research.

    Best of luck with it, you'll have some fun working on it & you'll end up with more information than you know what to do with. Keep us up to date with how you're getting on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Here Precious


    Motivator wrote: »
    Gambling is a great subject for a dissertation, I did one on the "impact of Betfair on the industry" 2 years ago. Trying to focus on one aspect of gambling is the hardest part as there are so many choices available to you. Pick a core topic, say for example - the emergence of internet gambling, then take a look at the industry before internet gambling (profit levels of companies etc) & then focus of the emergence of technology in the last couple of years (iPhones, iPads etc). One word of warning, you will find it difficult to get an answer when asking about the problems of a gambling addict. I looked at that angle but found I couldn't get many answers off companies such as Paddy Power or Betfair or answers off any addicts that I wanted to interview. I found all of the companies that I interviewed to be very helpful & they were great with me in terms of interviews, the only problems I encountered was when I went searching for info about addiction. Betfair were great & because I love the gambling industry I loved doing my research.

    Best of luck with it, you'll have some fun working on it & you'll end up with more information than you know what to do with. Keep us up to date with how you're getting on.

    Very interesting motivator and thanks for your post...to date in my research I have looked at the evolution of Internet gambling , then technology, now I'm on corporate social responsibility....I'm on the right road anyhow I think based on your excellent post above

    Can I ask where in these companies did you go to get your interviews? As I'm not having any luck to date making contact.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭ 3DataModem


    I would also suggest contacting some of the licensing authorities for online gambling. Isle of Man, Gibraltar, etc.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ PunterAssist


    If you could get your hands on a global report from the Global Betting and Gambling Consultancy it would provide you with a lot of useful information.

    http://www.gbgc.com/publications/global-gambling-report/


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭ bootybouncer


    Coming at this from a business point of view.. I'm going to examine the global industry from a number of areas...I was thinking maybe as an angle...how can the industry increase its business sustainability ?

    I think they are doing a fine job at the moment, every dog and their dick has an online acc now, how about coming at it from a different angle at the long term affect that the online industry is going to have on the economy instead of tooting their horn


Advertisement