Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Showcase

Options
  • 02-02-2013 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Came across this on the Late Late Show facebook.

THE LATE LATE SHOWCASE

The Late Late Show is launching a brand new initiative giving emerging Irish acts a chance to appear on the biggest show on Irish Television. This is an unprecedented opportunity for new artists of any style or genre to showcase their talents on a national platform.

In recent years artists such as The Coronas, Maverick Sabre and music’s hottest property The Strypes have used the show as a launch pad for their careers. Now this opportunity has been made even more accessible for emerging talent. You don’t have to have a manager, a publicist, or a record company; those interested can simply submit a YouTube video directly to show. From time to time, acts will be selected from these submissions to appear on RTÉ’s flagship show.

How to apply:
    Email a YouTube link of one song to our special email address – thelatelateshowcase@rte.ie together with a brief blurb about your act (100 words) and a contact number.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Late Late Showcase is 100% a heap of cr@p because NO ONE can get onto it. I know 12 singers/bands/songwriters/musicians of genres ranging from bluegrass to rap who have failed to get on despite sending MP3 links, Youtube links, CDBaby links, etc. and a blurb to the above address. Not even a reply of acknowledgement. Surely, the TV license payer who is in a band should be treated less poorly? Apparently not. To appear on the Late Late Show as a musician, comedian or other entertainer requires you to go through some politician or else you need to be related to someone in RTE! The Late Late Show SHOULD be ashamed of offering this FALSE hope for many unemployed people who have to rely on music for a living. If they were charging a fee to enter, it would be a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

That and the fact that the rte sound wud destroy your bands rep instantly. Its the worst tv sound in the world.

DaDumTish wrote: »
    That and the fact that the rte sound wud destroy your bands rep instantly. Its the worst tv sound in the world.

This is so true too. I heard the Eurovision song on it the other night and the sound was so poor. And yes this is not the first time I heard poor sound on the station. Most musical items are marred by the poor sound and even the the interviews/chats often have poor sound too on the Late Late Show. I think that since Tubridy took over, things have really gone downhill on this show. Admittedly, Tubridy's first year was very good and his second year ok but after that, his shows are unapologetically poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i couldnt give a fcuk about tubridy the over paid talentless parasite

- but the RTE sound team should be fired ,

buts its probably a cosy little PS job , and no skill required.

ive heard better sound in a biscuit tin

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i couldnt give a fcuk about tubridy the over paid talentless parasite

- but the RTE sound team should be fired ,

buts its probably a cosy little PS job , and no skill required.

ive heard better sound in a biscuit tin

True: how to get the best paid jobs in Ireland requires you to have 1 or more of the following attributes:

1. Be talentless but able to hide it.
    2. Be corrupt.
    3. Be favoured by someone in high places.
    4. Be not a nice person.

As long as we keep this up, Ireland will remain a country where nastiness, incompetence and corruption triumph. This is apparent moreso than anywhere else within RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

The Late Late Showcase is 100% a heap of cr@p because NO ONE can get onto it. I know 12 singers/bands/songwriters/musicians of genres ranging from bluegrass to rap who have failed to get on despite sending MP3 links, Youtube links, CDBaby links, etc. and a blurb to the above address. Not even a reply of acknowledgement. Surely, the TV license payer who is in a band should be treated less poorly? Apparently not. To appear on the Late Late Show as a musician, comedian or other entertainer requires you to go through some politician or else you need to be related to someone in RTE! The Late Late Show SHOULD be ashamed of offering this FALSE hope for many unemployed people who have to rely on music for a living. If they were charging a fee to enter, it would be a scam.

Makes sense. They had Gerry Ryans daughter on the showcase recently. Had me wondering would she have been given the chance without the RTE connections.

Makes sense. They had Gerry Ryans daughter on the showcase recently. Had me wondering would she have been given the chance without the RTE connections.

Probably not. And we will see a lot of Bonnie Ryan in the future too. Whatever about anything else, 2 things RTE are very poor at are music and chatshows in recent times. Ever since Tubridy came on the scene in 2004, Irish chatshows have become sillier with airhead guests and presenters. By and large, Brendan O'Connor's Saturday show is strong and can do much more than Tubridy in 1 hour 15 minutes. But that is the exception: other chat shows range from the depressing (The Frontline - good decision to end it) to the downright silly (Tubridy, Brian Ormond, Craig Doyle).

As regards music, RTE tend to make gods out of the few and neglect other talent. For example, Imelda May is an okay artist but there are far better practicioners of blues and rockabilly in Ireland. Likewise, Mike Denver is not the best country artist in this country but seems to be favoured by RTE. Boybands are not everyone's idea of music yet RTE give us more of these than anything else. Louis Walsh is not the only manager yet is featured most often. They also tend to drop support suddenly for acts, too (Jedward). The lack of success in this year's Eurovision also shows Ireland cannot market its acts abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

haaha

You really really can't use the Eurovision as a benchmark for anything.. ever... under any circumstances..

No, but RTE approach ALL music issues incl. the Eurovision in the same way. I know of 2 ex Eurovision contestents for Ireland who had RTE change the whole concept of their song: the tempo, the backing, the dress sense all changed by RTE. By someone up there who knows little about music.

No, but RTE approach ALL music issues incl. the Eurovision in the same way. I know of 2 ex Eurovision contestents for Ireland who had RTE change the whole concept of their song: the tempo, the backing, the dress sense all changed by RTE. By someone up there who knows little about music.

And with this in mind, why should the Late Late Show (Tubridy Show) be the chooser of what music should be promoted, sent to the Eurovision, on our charts, etc. Tubridy is as bad as those military dictators who pull the strings for the mullahs in Iran or the Kim dynasty in North Korea. In fact, he is much worse !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 dumb seeds

I'm sorry but regardless how stupid RTE are comparing Tubridy to some dictator in Iran is just silly, and to be honest childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

But that's what they are paid for and it's a job for life. I wouldn't bother my hole showcasing music on RTE as all best efforts would be made ****e of by an inhouse team of unionised techs and gob****e production.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

:)

I think he was being facetious.. At least I hope so..

Yes, it was meant to be a joke! Like Killinaskully: 'if there's one shower worse than the black and tans, it is that shower in ....'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 drumsguitar32

Came across this on the Late Late Show facebook.

THE LATE LATE SHOWCASE

The Late Late Show is launching a brand new initiative giving emerging Irish acts a chance to appear on the biggest show on Irish Television. This is an unprecedented opportunity for new artists of any style or genre to showcase their talents on a national platform.

In recent years artists such as The Coronas, Maverick Sabre and music’s hottest property The Strypes have used the show as a launch pad for their careers. Now this opportunity has been made even more accessible for emerging talent. You don’t have to have a manager, a publicist, or a record company; those interested can simply submit a YouTube video directly to show. From time to time, acts will be selected from these submissions to appear on RTÉ’s flagship show.

How to apply:
    Email a YouTube link of one song to our special email address – thelatelateshowcase@rte.ie together with a brief blurb about your act (100 words) and a contact number.
    **** OFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

**** OFF.

That'll be a two week ban for personal abuse.

Advertisement