Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to buy cheap copies of classic novels and poetry books for English course?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Not a student myself but I know these books are studied on some English courses, where do students get copies of these classic titles, don't need to be new but should be in good condition, looking to pay less than the RRP of a new copy in the likes of Easons.

Here are some of the titles needed;

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

Charles Dickens, Hard Times

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness

George Orwell, Animal Farm

W.B. Yeats Collected Poems

Patrick Kavanagh, Collected Poems

Louis MacNeice, Collected Poems.

Seamus Heaney, Selected Poems (1965- 1975)

Eavan Boland, Collected Poems (1995)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Meirleach

Even in Easons they usually have student editions of most of those novels that go for 2 or 3euro. The Wordsworth editions are the ones. Big blue books. For the other ones try looking for cheap editions on bookdepository(free shipping).
    Easons - Collected Poems by Patrick Kavanagh is currently going for €15.70
    Book depository - Collected Poems by Patrick Kavanagh - €8.87

If you don't mind reading on a computer screen many of the novels are also availible on Project Gutenberg.

Alternatively you could try finding them second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

thanks for the suggestion bookdepository is great, I just got the first four novels on the list for 9 euro, didn't have to rummage around and they'll be delivered to my door, I'll definitely be using the site again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have been in the basement of easons on o Connell street Dublin and have seen classic books for €1/2. But try chapters or borders whatever it's called on parnell street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you don't mind reading off your computer, you can download most of those books for free from Project Gutenberg. If you have a smartphone you could download the Kindle app and get them for free there too (as most of those novels are over 90 years old the copyright has expired). Re: the poetry, you will be able to find pretty much all the poems you need online through databases like LION that colleges have access to.

Advertisement