Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EP Structure

Options
  • 02-02-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on the structure of an EP?

I find myself recording EPs much more than singles or albums, certainly seems to be the trend for unsigned bands for many years.

Few months ago I had a band who wanted my input on which of their songs to put on an EP, and it's actually something I hadn't thought about much before, since bands usually come in with their minds set.

So what should you be demonstrating on an EP? Just get your best 4 or 5 songs down? Is there time for slow burners and filler? Front load with the intended single(s)? Stick to what a band does best, or try and show other sides to their sound? Should an attempt be made at a concept, theme and general continuity between songs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Should be the hits straight to the point. bearing in mind it will still need to ebb and flow across 4-5 songs. It should always have a high point. I find Ep's as mini albums work well with that structure. Concept and themes are hard to nail it can make or break something if it is not strong enough idea. For me concepts need to be raw.

I love the concept of the last Neurosis album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rezrvi-IEBU

From my experiences we left the other side of our sound which was a bit more experimental in textures to vinyl so it was something different we were offering as merch on tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

start on a high, end on a high, anything inbetween can showcase the other stuff as long as the first listen and last memory takes prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stephen22

Theres no right or wrong way to do anything. Always try be as creative in how you release your music as you are in writing music. Its more fun that way.

Advertisement