Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Workshops in Dublin - Any interest?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 1:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Posted this over in Design but not much feedback, so just sticking it here too.

I'm (and possibly a friend of mine) willing to run some workshops for free in Dublin if there's any interest.

Topics I can cover include:

HTML, CSS, Sass/SCSS, Compass, js, VCS (Git/Github), Wordpress, responsive web design and the tools thereof (fluid grids, Gridset etc), and maybe some server side stuff - PHP, Python, XSS. I'm also happy to offer advice on the business aspects, if there's any web dev/design freelancers out there looking for tips or advice or whatever.

Be it for complete beginners, those learning the basics basics, or more intermediate stuff. I can cater for the audience.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who'd be willing to help out, and maybe even teach a workshop themselves (on one of the topics above, or anything else.) I know I'd love to expand my (limited) knowledge of js & I'd like to learn some Objective-C.

All in Dublin, all for free, open to anyone of any skill. No catch :D

It's be great to have a regular workshop thing (maybe once a month to begin with), hosted by boardsies.

All advice, tips, feedback and so forth welcome with enthusiasm :)

Edit: So what workshops would you like to see? What would you like to learn? What's in demand?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd definitely be interested in something like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

been on the look out for something like that too ,(anything in fact! :))

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Excellent.

All I need to decide now is what level to teach at & what to teach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I would be really interested in this also :).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

deceit wrote: »
    I would be really interested in this also :).

Which aspect? Or just everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Interested in most aspects here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd be an absolute beginner in a lot of that, (bar the HTML) and would be very interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

also interested in learning this...would have to be basic101 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd be interested in something like this. I tend to benefit more from a subject once I get the foundations pounded into me, I've no problem figuring stuff out after that but if the foundations are shoddy, I usually end up in a mess.

I'd be interested in a few things as mentioned by others, I'd like to be able to do something interesting with my website (which I hacked a wordpress module into without really knowing how).

So yes, for beginner stuff, bring it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd be interested in giving (or at least helping out) few workshops mainly php/mysql html/css (lesscss)/jquery and know git etc. would be nice to have some generic programming ones too. i.e. to teach the skills of pragmatic programmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

KonFusion wrote: »
    Which aspect? Or just everything?
    All of it but in particular PHP and Python.
    So far i've only done a bit of java, c++, sql and plsql up to a second year standard in college but I would like to expand my programming skills in as many areas as I can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Great idea. There's a few hackerspace, makespace, skills exchange places around that would probably be happy to give you some space for it. I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but would be very interested in learning some Sass/SCSS and responsive design myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I could assist in giving a talk or two as well - my expertise is in server-side stuff (Java etc) but my recent big focus (and passsion) is in automated online testing. I'd be happy to give a chat on the concepts and execution.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Great idea. There's a few hackerspace, makespace, skills exchange places around that would probably be happy to give you some space for it. I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but would be very interested in learning some Sass/SCSS and responsive design myself.

Could you list a few? I only know of TOG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Id be interested in a few of these. Python 101 would be good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds good. As a python graduate developer, teach me python :pac:
    Also would like c/++ and objective c. PHP too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Could you list a few? I only know of TOG.

I took a quick look and actually all I can see at the moment is TOG and Exchange Dublin. I was sure I found more when I looked before, if I can find them again I'll add them in here.

There is Make Shop too but they seem pretty focused on physical making, but pretty cool at the same time.

The font on that exchange dublin site makes my eyes hurt...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tar.Aldarion, I think you'd be more suited to teaching me Python. I've no C++ skills or Objective-C either.

Suppose we could always just have a group showing of some thenewboston tutorials :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Suppose we could always just have a group showing of some thenewboston tutorials :pac:
    and ,next here's a video somebody else made earlier!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

To be fair they are awesome videos. I'd watch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Who's bringing the booze?

draffodx wrote: »
    Who's bringing the booze?

Anyone hoping to get in the door :pac:

Update:

This is still happening.

I can confirm the first one will be "An introduction to SCSS and Compass"

Just got a domain for this. I'll release the url once it has some content :)

So for the moment I was thinking of a once a month dealy, most probably in the evening, say 6:30pm to 9:30pm or something similar, perhaps on the first Wednesday of every month. Would that suit folks?

Also I'm looking for others to teach host teach/host, and I see no problem with 2 people or more doing a workshop, so if you feel you wouldn't be up for hosting one on your own, fret not, you can always still help out.

So can you folks please get in touch and I'll pop your name down on my magical list here.

Tar.Aldarion you up for doing a python workshop?

Creamy Goodness - PHP/Git/Less/JQuery/All the above :) ?

Who else?

Those who help will be generously rewarded!* It's really just a bit of fun, helping others etc.

*This is a complete lie.

What kinda location were you thinking?

SASS?

laugh wrote: »
    What kinda location were you thinking?

SASS?

Dublin City Centre

And Sass - http://sass-lang.com/

Dublin City Centre

And Sass - http://sass-lang.com/

You have SCSS.

laugh wrote: »
    You have SCSS.

"The most commonly used syntax is known as “SCSS”"

Advertisement