Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann 103 Duleek-Ashbourne-Dublin route

Options
  • 02-02-2013 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Does anyone else have constant problems with this route- buses late, not turning up, breaking down? At the moment, I'm still waiting on the supposed 07.00 in Duleek (it's 07.30 now) and the next bus on the timetable isn't until 10.45! (Not that there's a timetable at the stop). I rang Bus Eireann's number, even though I knew there wouldn't be anyone there, and it directed me to the whens my bus site, but that wouldn't work for me either. I'm just not meant to get into work today'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lisa78 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have constant problems with this route- buses late, not turning up, breaking down? At the moment, I'm still waiting on the supposed 07.00 in Duleek (it's 07.30 now) and the next bus on the timetable isn't until 10.45! (Not that there's a timetable at the stop). I rang Bus Eireann's number, even though I knew there wouldn't be anyone there, and it directed me to the whens my bus site, but that wouldn't work for me either. I'm just not meant to get into work today'
    If the 7am bus never turned up or left early your next bus from Duleek is 10.45am

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

Thanks foggy_lad
    Yeah, if there had even been one an hour later, I would have waited but there was no point in me getting the one at 10.45. Thanks for the post anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lisa78 wrote: »
    Thanks foggy_lad
    Yeah, if there had even been one an hour later, I would have waited but there was no point in me getting the one at 10.45. Thanks for the post anyway.
    Not much point ringing Bus Éireann about it either except to register the complaint, Nothing will be done as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Had a similar experience myself in recent months with a Bus Éireann route in Co. Meath (not the 103) when the bus didn't turn up. E-mailed in and got a complimentary ticket for the inconvenience caused.

Would suggest e-mailing in (info[AT}buseireann.ie) or writing to Customer Services c/o Bus Éireann, Broadstone, Dublin 7.

The 103 is a subsidised route and operated as part of the contract with the National Transport Authority. I'd give Bus Éireann a chance to sort the problems out first but if the problems continue contacting the National Transport Authority would be a good idea.

The 103 operates out of Broadstone Garage in Dublin and Drogheda Garage (even though much nearer) have no involvement with it as far as I know.

As far as I know a Duleek to Dublin ticket can also be used to travel via Drogheda (by taking the 188 into Drogheda and then a 101 or 100X to Dublin). Perhaps this idea may not be of much use but it might be better than waiting for the next Dublin bus from Duleek. Should not be any problems doing this but there's normally an inspector on duty at Drogheda in the event of any queries.

Hope this helps - definitely drop Bus Éireann a line - you deserve a free ticket for this :-)

Thanks for all the info Geog1234. I didn't know about the National Transport Authority, so I'll see how it goes during the week and will have to go into work next Saturday, so will give the bus another chance. I just want to be able to get into work on time, so fingers crossed! Thanks again.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Not much point ringing Bus Éireann about it either except to register the complaint, Nothing will be done as usual.

I have sent a few emails over the last few months, and I've gotten responses most of the time, but they're just replies apologizing for the inconvenience and saying they will monitor the situation- no indication that anything will change alright. I know they're probably limited in what they can do with all the cost cutting and savings they're looking to make, but they're supposed to be providing a service, that costs a good bit to avail of, and it's not a reliable service. Anyway, rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Crimson125

Hi Lisa,

My other half uses the route on weekdays. About a year ago, there were terrible problems with the morning busses not turning up. We're between Duleek and Kilmoon Cross, and I had been dropping her down to Kilmoon.

We changed that and now I drop her to Ashbourne each morning as the risk of being left standing in the cold was too high.

I do know that recently, she gets an evening bus back from Dublin, and the bus seems to be consistently not there - there is one 15 minutes later which seems to be there though.

Another disaster we've found is the bus to Duleek and she's the last one on the bus once they hit Kilmoon. On some occasions, the drivers have refused to drive to Duleek and changed the last stop forcing her to get out at Kilmoon.

Like you said - you can write all you want, but they will most likely give you lip service. At times like this, I always picture the scene in Fr Ted where the lads in the vatican are reviewing the Holy Stone of Clonrickert for relic class upgrade - A:"So, what about the Holy Stone of Clonrickert ?",..............."Whatever.......". That's the person I think may have been answering your complaints ;-D

Perhaps start to log it and write an article with some solid facts in it and send it to the papers in Drogheda and Ashbourne. Might get some notice then............

Bloody chancers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Write into the National Transport Authority with complaints, if buses aren't continuing on their route then that is a disgrace.

Write into the National Transport Authority with complaints, if buses aren't continuing on their route then that is a disgrace.

Disgrace - definately.

Write to the NTA - couldn't be bothered really as

a) Don't think it would actually make any real difference to the situation

b) It could result in my other half being identified by the drivers as the complainer and as I said, she can be the last one on the bus sometimes.

I'd rather make the emergency drive down to the crossroads when needed than deal with potential fallout as it's only 5 minutes.

In fairness, this has only happened about 3 times in the past year - not that it should ever happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not much point in complaining on here if you're not will to do anything constructive about it. How will things ever change if people don't complain to the powers that be?

I can't see there being any issue with the drivers knowing it was your partner, do you think they'll actually do anything to her? The drivers are probably alleging to their managers that there were no more passengers on board, if your partner complains giving times and dates the Automatic Vehicle Location information should be available to the managers to see that the bus did not travel to Duleek, case closed, drivers cautioned, passengers win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

The NTA in my view take matters quite seriously once they have details of bus times, dates etc...

Can understand your concern of your other half being identified. However any driver saying anything to a passenger as a result of a legitimate complaint a passenger may make (which the situation described certainly is 100%) would be putting themselves at risk of disciplinary action.

A driver is required to operate to the scheduled route and published timetable unless unforeseen circumstances prevent this (e.g. severe weather, road closed due to accident/security alert etc...). In such instances, the driver would be expected to exercise all reasonable endeavours and follow/find an alternative route to Duleek (e.g. via Balrath) if at all possible.

All 103 buses continuing from Kilmoon Cross are required to serve both Boolies Cross and Duleek in both directions.

I respect your choice, but would suggest as per the other posts writing to the NTA. It's totally out of order that you and your other half have been inconvenienced in this manner.

PS: onboard CCTV will back up the facts as well as the Automatic Vehicle Location though I'd say the CCTV record is only kept for a certain time so ideally complaints are best made on the day or the following day.

Not much point in complaining on here if you're not will to do anything constructive about it.

Wasn't the point of my post - Original Poster was asking did anyone else have experiences of messing on this bus route - was answering that really. Not a big enough problem for us have any interest in launching complaint procedures.

Found the thread by accident while looking for something else and wanted to let the OP know she's not imagining it !

Geog1234 wrote: »

I respect your choice, but would suggest as per the other posts writing to the NTA. It's totally out of order that you and your other half have been inconvenienced in this manner.

PS: onboard CCTV will back up the facts as well as the Automatic Vehicle Location though I'd say the CCTV record is only kept for a certain time so ideally complaints are best made on the day or the following day.

Have no dates or details on the busses in question - random 3 times over the past year - we got on with life.

If I were to write to every authority I have issues with their service quality, I'd need to hire a print company to handle the documentation !

I learned years ago that I needed to stop that lark as I spent too much time recording calls with providers, writing extensive letters, fending off phone calls, re-discussing and explaining, buying printer ink, reprinting, buying stamps and registering post........you get my point. Ultimately, all of that brought me closer and closer to the cholesteral and heart problems I'm trying to fend off.

Life days left is growing shorter and the list of valuable experiences to have is growing bigger by the day. Debating with Government agencies is somewhere down the very bottom of the list unless a complete necessity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Crimson125 wrote: »

Bloody chancers !!!

I'd go with that Crimson.

The 103 is a very tightly timed route,an issue which has been there for years with nobody wanting to address it.

I have on many occasions found myself with a single soul on board at Kilmoon and on occasion nobody,but it would NEVER enter my head to swing round.

The only way this could happen legitimately is if the Driver was INSTRUCTED to turn short...not something BE drivers are told very often.

I'm guessing that this particular journey does not work back from Duleek,as if it does,then there may be other intending passengers left stranded.

I'd suggest telephoning Broadstone directly and asking to speak to the Service Delivery manager,if only for a explanation ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Hi Crimson, thanks for the posts - I was starting to think it was just me that was being awkward so at least I know I'm not the only one who has been put out! And don't worry, I'm sure I've made enough complaints to cover a few people! I'm so jealous of the people who live in Ashbourne and have their choice of buses!! :D
    I used to get a lift to Finglas and get the 17A so that was great, but have had to rely on the 103 for the past 6 months or so. I thankfully still get a lift home in the evenings. Your OH has my sympathies with her experiences. I'd hate to be stuck if the driver decided not to go as far as Duleek - I had to walk home once from Kilmoon (my own fault - miscommunication about a lift!) and it took me 2 hours.
    I have been keeping a note of issues over the last few weeks, so will put that together and send it to BE, the NTA, and anyone else I can think of. I want to have something that shows it is a re-occuring problem and not just a once off.
    I've actually had mostly good experiences of the drivers on that route (in the morning anyway) - they're very friendly and do their best, but there are a lot of people to load in Ashbourne. It's actually been great the last week or so - I've gotten into town in great time, but if the drivers change, and it's someone new who's not familar with the route, or isn't as fast at issuing tickets or giving out change, it does make a difference. And I don't just complain to BE - I have sent emails with compliments at various times because I think they should be aware when people are doing a good job in difficult situations.

Advertisement