Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming back vat on crew cab vehicle

Options
  • 02-02-2013 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

If you are registered for vat and buy a crew cab type vehicle can you claim back the vat if a valid invoice is supplied? I thought I seen it somewhere that you cand and just checking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

viztopia wrote: »
    If you are registered for vat and buy a crew cab type vehicle can you claim back the vat if a valid invoice is supplied? I thought I seen it somewhere that you cand and just checking

No, not since about 2005 when they closed the loophole that allowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

Vehicles within VRT Categories B & C, such as vans, lorries, pick-ups and crew-cabs are generally deductible for VAT

taken from:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/refunds/vat-reclaims-faqs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Looks like it's allowed again so... I'm sure they made the VAT on crew cabs non-deductible for a couple of years around 05-06 because I had a very upset client around that time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

I think the qualifying criteria might have been tightened, so vehicles that previously qualified as crew-cabs were classed as passenger vehicles resulting in increased VRT and no VAT deduction.

It's probably worth noting that 20% of the VAT can be reclaimed on certain passenger vehicles provided certain criteria are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

So if I buy a crew cab navara jeep tomoro for say €7500+vat and pay for it there and then are you saying that I can only claim one fifth of the total vat ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement