Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse head and flame nebula

Options
  • 02-02-2013 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hey everybody.
    Since tonight we got clear skies i went to Trooperstown to do some imaging.Here is my attempt with new gear at Horse head and flame nebula.To be honest i think the focus is a bit off but never the less i am happy with end result as conditions werent perfect nad the main goal was to get familiar with new gear.As usuall your coments are most welcome.
    8436125837_df7bf25f63_b.jpg

Software used Backyard EOS
    8x180s lights
    9 darks
    9 flats

Equipement :
    Celestron CG5 GT
    Ascension 80mm trplet APO
    Canon 500D (unmoded)
    LVI smart guider on ST80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Hi Nerro, nice pic. For non emission nebulae long long exposures are your friend. ( plus a few short ones to fix core burnout). With a
    CG5 autoguided set up you should have no problem getting 600s exposures. You should print yourself out a bahtinov mask if you haven't one to get the focus perfect each time. Was working this weekend sadly, missed the one clear night, bet it's cloudy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Nice work Nerro.
    Does your smartguider produce a graph of the drift in RA and Dec axes, or is it possible to generate one from a logfile? Check how smooth and steady your CG5 is operating - has it been tuned up at all? These mounts are notoriously sticky - the factory grease is more like a glue!

I've tried 600s exposures on Horsehead & Flame but Alnitak, being so bright, really bloats up large through a 'frac.

As the Doc said, a Bahtinov mask is a huge benefit - you'll have perfect focus in less than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Nice pic!! Must try this one myself at some stage but not until guiding sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

thanks guys.I am planing to do some more work hopefully this week end if weather gods will allow...
    mask and cable to connect the mount to pc already ordered.So next session will show how smooth is the mount.As like I mention it was more or less a test that everything works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Is a modified camera required to bring out the red colour in the horsehead?

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Is a modified camera required to bring out the red colour in the horsehead?
    Yes.when modding you are taking out the IR filter that blocks IR and unfortunately hydrogen-alpha light...

Nerro wrote: »
    Yes.when modding you are taking out the IR filter that blocks IR and unfortunately hydrogen-alpha light...

I have a 450D that I bought second hand and was thinking of modifying it myself but not sure what the difference is between full spectrum and the Baader modification. Any thoughts on what you think would be the best way to go?

Wailin wrote: »
    I have a 450D that I bought second hand and was thinking of modifying it myself but not sure what the difference is between full spectrum and the Baader modification. Any thoughts on what you think would be the best way to go?

Well I would suggest reading this first
    http://www.pbase.com/samirkharusi/image/48558817
    There are ups and downs for both modifications.i think in this hobbie you can't get everything in one package.so it's really down to you.
    I would love to modify my camera as I don't have that many opportunities to go imaging.and modifications drastically increase the detail you are capturing.But I would be probably hanged by the you know what if I would start stripping the camera...

Nerro wrote: »
    Well I would suggest reading this first
    http://www.pbase.com/samirkharusi/image/48558817
    There are ups and downs for both modifications.i think in this hobbie you can't get everything in one package.so it's really down to you.
    I would love to modify my camera as I don't have that many opportunities to go imaging.and modifications drastically increase the detail you are capturing.But I would be probably hanged by the you know what if I would start stripping the camera...

I know exactly what you mean! Reason why I went out and bought a second hand camera, there is a few on adverts worth looking at.

Advertisement