Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's more important, where you study, or where you do your internship?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Trying to decide where to do GEM. I Am from limerick, and UL seems like a great medical school, but I have a 60 in the GAMSAT so I feel like I would be selling myself short not going somewhere like UCD or RCSI. Is Dublin worth the move for the degree or should I wait for internship to decide on institutions of more credation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

Sounds obvious, but go with what feels right! Ignore GAMSAT cut offs, they more than likely won't apply to you at all, unless there's a jump in points which, given the recent trend, is very unlikely. You're in the lucky position of being able to pick which medical school you attend, so ignore cutoffs and pick the course you feel would suit you best. If you like UL (and more importantly if you like the fact that their course is all PBL) then go with that. If you'd prefer a more balanced learning style, then look at the other 3, visit the colleges if possible, familiarise yourself with the courses and then make your decision, it's easy really ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dmeskell

Wait.. Whats obvious? Ha. I guess I'm just being indecisive. I like the look of the program here, I'd have my parents to fall back on if there was a particularly tough day (not something I usually need, I live in cork right now and my family lives in limerick), and it would save me a whole load of money, but I have a feeling Dublin would benefit me so much more in my career. Would anybody be of the opinion that, bluntly, if you can go to Dublin you'd be stupid not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Dublin-based here. There's nothing wrong with UL. This is not the Leaving Cert, you are not 'wasting points' by going to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

dmeskell wrote: »
    Wait.. Whats obvious? Ha. I guess I'm just being indecisive. I like the look of the program here, I'd have my parents to fall back on if there was a particularly tough day (not something I usually need, I live in cork right now and my family lives in limerick), and it would save me a whole load of money, but I have a feeling Dublin would benefit me so much more in my career. Would anybody be of the opinion that, bluntly, if you can go to Dublin you'd be stupid not to?

There is now a central application process for intern posts, so you can still head up to Dublin (or wherever) after the degree. Graduate medicine is expensive, so over 4 years accommodation on top of that adds up to a fair old chunk of change (there are separate threads abou how hard it is to get financing). If money is no object do as the other poster said and check out the courses. You mention you live in Cork - so you may already have mates there. The summer holidays are shorter so harder to get work and you may need to get elective experience as part of your course. All things you may want to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

Intern matching is based on your performance during your degree not where you did your degree, the no.1 grad from UL is viewed the exact same as the no.1 grad from RCSI/UCD and so on down the line when dishing out intern places. Then when you get to applying for speciality programs it will come down to post grad experience and publications etc.

I think a better way to make your decision is if you would prefer PBL in UL or didactic in the other colleges and finances play a huge role due to fees only loans etc, try finish with as little of a loan as possible because god knows what the intern salary will be then!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement