Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NES Question

Options
  • 02-02-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

Very quick question, I picked up a nice boxed version of an Original NES on eBay. The console itself is bit temperamental, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't however there is a switch on the front just above the controller ports.

I've tried Google, image search and YouTube videos but can't find any info at all.

It looks like a fairly professional looking mod, if that's what it is.

When the switch is moved the screen flickers and the LED at the front of the NES changes brightness. My first assumption was a 50/60hz switch but after Googling it looks like such a mod doesn't exist.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Stick up a pic and I'm sure someone will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elgire

There is a photo uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Only definite way to see what that switch does is to open the NES up and lets see where the wires go

I will open it up this evening and take a few photos but I wouldn't have a clue about the internal functionality of a NES.

Moving the switch mid game "appears" to change frequency on the TV, but when the switch is moved back the game is reset. This console was bought from an elderly lady in Dublin so it's 100% Irish, it was in her attic for 15 years. It also has NES Version marked on the front which was only on UK/Irish consoles to the best of my knowledge. Can't imagine mods like this existing 15/20 years ago?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh open it up and take a look, it could be changing the region, but i dont know why, if you do the region mod on the NES by removing the leg from the chip, you have no need to switch back and forth as it will play both regions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Elgire wrote: »
    I will open it up this evening and take a few photos but I wouldn't have a clue about the internal functionality of a NES.

Moving the switch mid game "appears" to change frequency on the TV, but when the switch is moved back the game is reset. This console was bought from an elderly lady in Dublin so it's 100% Irish, it was in her attic for 15 years. It also has NES Version marked on the front which was only on UK/Irish consoles to the best of my knowledge. Can't imagine mods like this existing 15/20 years ago?

If it's a 60Hz mod it's very easy to tell. The game will run faster, control better and the sound will speed up to the correct speed. Also the top and bottom PAL borders will disappear and the game will display full screen. That's unless it's one of the handful of games that are PAL optimised like Super Mario Bros which will run too fast and the sound will sound really off.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's a 60Hz mod it's very easy to tell. The game will run faster, control better and the sound will speed up to the correct speed. Also the top and bottom PAL borders will disappear and the game will display full screen. That's unless it's one of the handful of games that are PAL optimised like Super Mario Bros which will run too fast and the sound will sound really off.

Is there a 60hz mod for the NES because I can't find any info on it. Anyway I have it open now. Photos incoming if I can upload them from my phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is there a 60hz mod for the NES because I can't find any info on it. Anyway I have it open now. Photos incoming if I can upload them from my phone.

None that I know of. I've a US NES because of it.

Photo 01

Photo 02.

Let me know if these are ok.

Two blue wires coming from the front switch to the board.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    None that I know of. I've a US NES because of it.

If a 60hz mod doesn't exist how would it be easy to tell :p

If a 60hz mod doesn't exist how would it be easy to tell :p

It would behave the same as with other consoles when you flick a 50/60 Hz switch. Just because there's no tutorial on it on the web doesn't mean it's not possible, would be interesting if it was a 50/60 Hz mod. I repaired a CDi 450 by replacing the laser, apparently it couldn't be done and so far the only tutorial on how to do it is my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its not a 60hz mod anyway, you'd need to build a whole separate circuit with a new oscillator etc on it. This looks like its just bridging two points on the mobo together, if I were to guess I'd say its bridging the region pin to ground but you'd need to check that with a multimeter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Doesnt look like the region pin is it? looks in the wrong place, its hard to tell though just looking at the bottom of the board.

While I don't have any NTSC carts to confirm if its region free or not I don't think it has anything to do with it. There is no difference in the picture size or quality when the switch is moved.

It would be great if I could find out what it actually does, for future reference if I ever plan to sell it on it would be nice to inform the new buyer.

On the plus side after taking it apart today and giving it a good clean it's now working 90% of the time :D

While I don't have any NTSC carts to confirm if its region free or not I don't think it has anything to do with it. There is no difference in the picture size or quality when the switch is moved.

It would be great if I could find out what it actually does, for future reference if I ever plan to sell it on it would be nice to inform the new buyer.

On the plus side after taking it apart today and giving it a good clean it's now working 90% of the time :D

When you turn on the NES with no game in it, does the power light flicker on and off? If it doesn't then it's region modded.

Karsini wrote: »
    When you turn on the NES with no game in it, does the power light flicker on and off? If it doesn't then it's region modded.

It actually does both :p

With the switch in the left position and turned on with no game it blinks.
    With the switch in the right position and turned on with no game it stays on.

Guess I'll try pick up some NTSC carts and see what happens.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Sounds like it's toggling the region chip so. Odd that someone would fit a switch for this though, it doesn't do any harm. It's not like the SNES where the game can detect if the console is in a different mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Doesnt look like the region pin is it? looks in the wrong place, its hard to tell though just looking at the bottom of the board.

It may not directly be under the pin for the region, but it could be connected to the same point as to where this wire is soldered to.

Cheers.

And thats very likely confirmation, its enabling & disabling the region chip by having the switch grounding the pin on one side, & providing 5v on the other

Thanks for all the replies, it's an interesting mod alright. I know when I go to sell it on that will be the first question asked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement