Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Czech currency

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am travelling to Prague next month and was wondering what would be the best way to get the currency? Would I be best off going to the bank here and getting it all at once?

Anyone been to Prague? Any thoughts on the city?

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd get a small amount here and the rest from an ATM when I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Post Office or Credit union might be cheaper options for cash.

Carry little cash around - lots of pick pockets at night around the old town targeting guys with a few drinks on them.

There are plenty of ATM's in secure banks etc. over there and also at the airport if stuck. That's what I stuck to. Also be careful of scams around the money exchanges where non Czechs pretending to be tourists or locals claim to be leaving the country offer to swap local currency for euros to beat the queues etc.

Lovely city though, I've been twice with mixed groups of friends (not just lads on the tear) and would go back again + very easy to get around even walking. Huge variation in the price of food and drink from main streets to side streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And don't spend Euros at any tourist attraction/bus station or the like, you will be ripped off with a crap exchange rate, a nice little earner for the ticket clerk for her next trip to her sister in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Thanks all for the advice and replies, really looking forward to going over now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One piece of advice I will tell you from first-hand experience is to Trust your Fears when in Prague & out n about.

Had an incident whilst there only last month that actually had more of an impact that I realised until I was in a similar situation in Vilnius only last week.

Just Trust your Fear!

re currency: I cleaned out my local credit union before I left as I never pre-ordered my currency. They had a better exchange rate than Dublin airport too, so pre-order some currency. As it wouldn't be one of the most asked for of currencies, your local credit union would not be guaranteed to have all you require, unless pre-ordered.

• Advertisement

Hi there Kerry,

I am very curious as to what you mean by trust your fears when out and about? Care to elaborate on your story? Maybe PM if needs be!! It had piqued my interest as my girlfriend with whom I am travelling is from Vilnius although she lived in Ireland for a number of years. Thanks!

Also thanks for the solid advice as regards currency and the CU.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

been to Prague 6 times and never an issue BUT I am ultra paranoid and very careful on public transport, crowded places etc. (maybe thats what the previous poster meant by trust your fear?)

To be honest, I feel infinitely safer there than in Dublin city centre as at least in Prague the criminals and thieves arent off their heads on drugs and liable to do any class of random crap.
    I have heard of a fair many thefts of various kinds but thankfully its all of the pickpocket variety than the threatening you with a supposedly HIV tainted syringe that you may get in Dublin.

The only really dubious thing I heard of happen in Prague was the couple of Irish lads (from longford/ leitrim?) who were over with a group from Macra and had their drinks spiked and next thing they know it the both of them are found in a park missing expensive clothes and all valuables - 1 died of exposure and the other was lucky to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I lived in Prague for a few months last summer, amazing city and very safe once you use a bit of common sense. The exchange rate is roughly 25cz koruna to 1 euro (I always found it easier to think of 100CZK as 4 euro for some reason, but same thing) so keep that in mind when dealing with money and avoid anywhere that isn't offering around that.

ATMs are fine but a lot of restaurants and supermarkets wont't take card so you're going to need carrying around cash, but keep the exchange rate in mind and you should easily avoid getting ripped off (pretty much EVERYTHING should be cheaper than it is in Ireland, so if it's working out the same as it would in euro, someone is most likely being cheeky).

As another poster said, don't even consider the guys who claim to be selling currency on the streets for any reason, they are scam artists, half of them will sell you what you think is a normal rate and you end up with worthless currency from a different country.

Public transport is great there but make sure you validate your ticket if you use it (just having it isn't enough, you have to get it stamped in a machine) and don't jaywalk because both are pretty heavily policed and they will fine you if you're caught. The cops are fine if you behave, but they have no problem taking tourists who don't know the system for a trip to the station to get their cash. Be careful about taxis, if you're using them get the black and yellow ones that look like New York taxis, they're easy to find and they won't rip you off or take you the long way to bump the fare or anything. Keep an eye on your wallet/purse on St Charles Bridge during the day and do all the usual kinda safety stuff you do in a foreign city and you'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy Prague :)

orestes wrote: »

Public transport is great there but make sure you validate your ticket if you use it (just having it isn't enough, you have to get it stamped in a machine) and don't jaywalk because both are pretty heavily policed and they will fine you if you're caught. The cops are fine if you behave, but they have no problem taking tourists who don't know the system for a trip to the station to get their cash. Be careful about taxis, if you're using them get the black and yellow ones that look like New York taxis, they're easy to find and they won't rip you off or take you the long way to bump the fare or anything. Keep an eye on your wallet/purse on St Charles Bridge during the day and do all the usual kinda safety stuff you do in a foreign city and you'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy Prague :)

Thanks a lot for that advice, could easily have been caught out on both accounts there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Connolly4

Im travelling to the Czech Republic next wednesday. Unfortunately I have neglected to order currency from my local bank. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Connolly4 wrote: »
    Im travelling to the Czech Republic next wednesday. Unfortunately I have neglected to order currency from my local bank. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be? :)

Get it from an ATM in the airport when you land.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Or the Bureau de Change at the airport perhaps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Connolly4 wrote: »

I just took it out of an ATM at the airport when I arrived in Prague. There was no shortage of them outside arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

sorry to dig this up but will my aim visa debit card work when i am there to withdraw money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yup, just put a travel note on your account. You can do it through Online Banking.

Advertisement