Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Isla Vista 2013

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey, my friends and I were thinking of heading to Isla Vista in California this Summer. Just wondering has anyone been there/ going this year because I haven't heard of many heading over?? Any feedback appreciated.!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 townfella

Hi! Me and 5 other lads are going over for the summer. We heard about IV because a friend of ours went there previously and he said it was unreal craic. He said there aren't many Irish over in that part of Cali and that part of the appeal apparently! He told us not to worry about accommodation until you get over there because there is a lot over there with the college near by. Jobs is the big issue over there though, i have heard that hotels in santa barbara could be the place to look. But jobs is the same for alot of places in California from what Ive heard. Its excellent if you can get one before you go, but if not your prob best to bring a good bit of money with you just incase!

Hope this helps in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 susan92

There's a group of 6 of us (5 girls & 1 boy) planning to heading over as well. I've read a lot online about the Irish having a bad rep over there for wrecking apartments though, bit worrying! Maybe it's changed in the past few years though. We've been sending out emails for the last few days looking for jobs/accommodation, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Does anyone know if you can rent frat houses over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garryhickey

Hey me and a few lads from dublin are heading over to Isla Vista, were trying to find a house but it seems impossible over the internet! is it best to just wing it when we get there? same with jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garryhickey

were going also because many irish people in dublin arent going there which is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dyners

Hi guys, we're also heading to IV this summer, anyone have any advice on house hunting as so far we've been unsuccessful as everywhere apparently only does 12 month leases! As the hostels in the locality are rather pricey we're eager to get accommodation sorted before we head over!
    Also we've heard various stories about jobs being hard to find in IV itself and even in SB? Is there any truth to these statements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jimbo1111

well were thinking of heading there for 2014, fairly big group of us, all lads, howd ye get on last year with jobs and accomdation? would ye think its better going there over somewhere like vancouver?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dee1993

Hey me and my friend and possibly a few others were looking at going to IV this summer just wondering how you found it? And was it easy to find people to share accommodation with? We'd be looking to share just to cut costs and better craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conormcc10

jimbo1111 wrote: »
    well were thinking of heading there for 2014, fairly big group of us, all lads, howd ye get on last year with jobs and accomdation? would ye think its better going there over somewhere like vancouver?[/quote

Well myself and a few lads went over last year and ended up leaving after a few weeks and going to San Francisco which was much better! IV was pretty dead at times and not much work even for those of us who had jobs before we went over.
    Theres a nice beach and good atmosphere by the shore but I wouldn't really go back or recommend it much, especially over vancouver or even the likes of san Francisco. Still its worth visiting for a beach day trip or weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eilis21

Hey, there are four of us girls going to Isla Vista. We were thinking about San Francisco, but we were told the weather is not great there. I was wondering where we would be better off going, better chances of jobs/ accommodation and better craic? We're looking to share accommodation with people... anyone interested? :)

Advertisement