Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance in BC

Options
  • 01-02-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey,

Heading to Vancouver in sept if my visa gets accepted. I'm thinking i want to buy a car over there. Would it actually be worth it? I'm in the process of changing my Irish licence over to a UK licence so i wont have to do a re-test over there. Does anyone have any experience with car insurance over there? I read its pretty expensive? $150 a month would be considered cheap someone told me.

Also I'll need health and travel insurance for the year? Do i use an Irish company or Canadian? What Price would i be expected to pay for the two years?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

iprawn wrote: »
    Hey,

Heading to Vancouver in sept if my visa gets accepted. I'm thinking i want to buy a car over there. Would it actually be worth it? I'm in the process of changing my Irish licence over to a UK licence so i wont have to do a re-test over there. Does anyone have any experience with car insurance over there? I read its pretty expensive? $150 a month would be considered cheap someone told me.

Also I'll need health and travel insurance for the year? Do i use an Irish company or Canadian? What Price would i be expected to pay for the two years?

Thanks for any replies

I don't have a clue about the car insurabr other than its expensive.

For the travel insurance backpackertravelinsurance.ie seem to be the cheapest.
    Assuming you are going through the IEC program - the travel insurance needs to cover 2 years of the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

in BC he government controls the car insurance its called icbc. As far as insurance companies go they aren't too bad. They don't age or gender discriminate. But don't think you'll carry over any no claims bonuses from ireland. One good thing is there is no annual road tax, but you do have to pay tax on used vehicles even if they are bought privately, you need to declare what you pay for them. Most people say they pay less than they actually do but don't give them a ridiculous figure as they do check the market value, just tell them it needed work and the person was stuck for money. One suggestion is don't speed or break any road traffic laws as the fines are very expensive and if you are caught going 40 kph over speed limit they will impound your car for i think 30 days. If caught drink driving they will impound your vehicle for 90 days. You also have to pay fees for points, you get 3 free per year and its 75 dollars per point after that plus the fine, so the average speeding ticket will cost you 300+ dollars. Be no harm to study the rules of the road over there as there are some differences that can get expensive if you don't know them,

Advertisement