Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming calls with Simply Broadband

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've just got a landline installed in my house and I have signed up to the Simply Broadband plan with Vodafone, which includes line rental. I was wondering if I plugged a phone into a spare scoket will I be able to receive incoming calls for free. ie. if I do this will I be charged by either Vodafone or Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As far as I am aware no telephone company charges for incoming calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Damosmurf

That is what I thought too. But does the fact that I don't have a phonecall plan with either Vodafone or Eircom mean that one of them will charge me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Vodafone and eircom won't charge you for inbound calls. No provider in Ireland does. In the US, they charge on inbound calls to a mobile.

Line rental includes inbound calls. You will be charged for outbound calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Damosmurf wrote: »
    I've just got a landline installed in my house and I have signed up to the Simply Broadband plan with Vodafone, which includes line rental. I was wondering if I plugged a phone into a spare scoket will I be able to receive incoming calls for free. ie. if I do this will I be charged by either Vodafone or Eircom?

If you have broadband ONLY from Vodafone, then you have no calls plan. So you will be charged for call out & in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Damosmurf

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Line rental includes inbound calls. You will be charged for outbound calls.
    If you have broadband ONLY from Vodafone, then you have no calls plan. So you will be charged for call out & in.

Conflicting answers

I'm torn between these two reasons, thats why i started the thread.
    Does anyone know the definitive answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I have never had a land line call plan in my entire life. I have never been charged either here or when I lived in the U.K. for incoming calls. The only charges ever made were line rental and outgoing calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Contact your provider(s) to get the answer?

If the Simply Broadband package is true naked DSL, then you won't get any service through a telephone whatsoever, not even a dial tone. The POTS service is disconnected at the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RoZZaH

Karsini wrote: »
    If the Simply Broadband package is true naked DSL, then you won't get any service through a telephone whatsoever, not even a dial tone. The POTS service is disconnected at the exchange.

with POTS disabled on 'Simply Broadband' ("naked DSL") at exchange at exchange (presume remotely?? by vodafone) a Alarm Monitoring System is rendered useless!!

Strikes me as pretty crap :mad: I realise Alarm Monitoring isn't an Emergency Service but it is fairly essential esp. when soe insurers insist on it - VODAFONE/others should not disable POTS and charge extra for outgoing calls.. presumably by disabling POTS they negotiate a cheaper rate with Eircom.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

There are 2 types of Simply Broadband

One which is regular phone and broadband which doesnt include a call package.

You wont be charged for incoming calls but will be charged at normal rates for all outbound calls.

Your sky box, monitored alarm etc will all work.

If you have Simply broadband and fibre broadband (an engineer would have had to come out to set up the connection) this is the naked DSL and all POTS services will stop working.

• Advertisement

I suppose what I'm asking is when fibre is installed is your copper replaced?

There are 2 types of fibre install in Ireland.

There is fibre to the cabinet which is more available. Eircom connect fibre from the exchange to your street cabinet.

These are up to 70 Mb.

Then there is fibre to your home. This isn't very available at the moment.

All the advertising for e-fibre is the fibre to the cabinet.

I was just about to ask about that - FTTC (means VDSL for broadband) and FTTH

FTTC ::
    So is Simply Broadband fibre = VDSL - POTS
    and Simply Broadband standard = ADSL + POTS
    (Simply Broadband 'fibre' is just a modem in the difference?)

but if they're using the copper line.. why disable POTS??

FTTH ::
    Suppose you where able to get FTTH - there would persumably be a box to turn data into light?
    While I understand there would then be a ethernet/WAN cable to your home router - I presume you need to upgrade your phone equipment..?

sorry but 'tis a bit confusing!
    RoZZaH :)

RoZZaH wrote: »
    I was just about to ask about that - FTTC (means VDSL for broadband) and FTTH

Exactly!

FTTC ::
    So is Simply Broadband fibre = VDSL - POTS
    and Simply Broadband standard = ADSL + POTS
    (Simply Broadband 'fibre' is just a modem in the difference?)

From a customer perspective, yes. There are different technologies VDSL V ADSL and fibre from the exchange to the cabinet etc

but if they're using the copper line.. why disable POTS??

Cost.

FTTH ::
    Suppose you where able to get FTTH - there would persumably be a box to turn data into light?
    While I understand there would then be a ethernet/WAN cable to your home router - I presume you need to upgrade your phone equipment..?

Yes. There is equipment that Eircom would install that would provide an ethernet port for your own network. Then Vodafone have a WAN port on their modem to provide your Internet service via ethernet or WiFi

thanks @aktelmiele - I understand a hell of a lot more than I did this time last week! :)

--
    comment - IMHO, once FTTC rollout is complete nationwide, it's slightly ridiculous to charge line rental for POTS
    Especially as all they'll be doing soon is used for Alarm Monitoring and Emergency calls (and the last of the luddites with no mobile). I understand a network has to be maintained (while Eircom delayed upgrading their network for the last 20yrs) but apparently they leave the copper line in - which I suppose makes some kind of sense (in a power outage??).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

thanks @aktelmiele - I understand a hell of a lot more than I did this time last week! :)

--
    comment - IMHO, once FTTC rollout is complete nationwide, it's slightly ridiculous to charge line rental for POTS
    Especially as all they'll be doing soon is used for Alarm Monitoring and Emergency calls (and the last of the luddites with no mobile). I understand a network has to be maintained (while Eircom delayed upgrading their network for the last 20yrs) but apparently they leave the copper line in - which I suppose makes some kind of sense (in a power outage??).

I think in future alarm monitoring will be done using a broadband connection. It would poll to the monitoring station every minute and if it looses a connection then they will know. Much cheaper and faster option for communication in my opinion. Alot quicker then using SMS or voice.

We have one of the highest line rental charges in Europe..:mad:

Yeah there's definitely an opportunity for ISPs to get into alarm monitoring/polling - I looked into this when my fathers Phonewatch came up for renewal - polling rates are currently pretty prohibitive - DIY solutions are not really an option (also you start getting into powe backup etc.)
    hopefully this step up in speed and (one would hope) increasing national access well start to see more 'intelligent' services

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

.... - DIY solutions are not really an option (also you start getting into powe backup etc.)
    It really is very simple to set up, a dual RJ-11 wall socket and a length of network or phone cable plus a cheap UPS. I've been running my alarm over my UPC VoIP setup for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.

@Alun - we're going off topic (my fault) - might PM you about that some time - thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

@Alun - we're going off topic (my fault) - might PM you about that some time - thanks though :)
    No bother, just ask away when you're ready. There's been a bit of a thread about it over on the Home Security forum too which is where I got my information from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement