Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Pro shut-down problem

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I am running Windows XP Pro on my laptop and I recently installed SP3 for some reasons. Since then, I get a Windows Application error at each shut-down stage, after the 'windows shutting down' and 'saving your settings' message. It only lasts for a very short time and the system then closes down. There is not sufficient time to record the error details before it disappears off screen but there is an option 'OK' to shut-down or 'Cancel' to debug the program which I have tried on several occasions, unfortunately, it has not cleared up and am worried that this may be harmful to my PC. Does anyone have any views as to whether it is related to the installation of SP3 or is it co-incidental? Also, is there a 'fix' for this or should I revert to the system settings, prior to the upgrade to SP3. Post installation of SP3 I tidied up my disk and cleaned it up etc. I am confident that it is not related to the running of 'ccleaner' as I did this on many occasions previously, without any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Maidhci wrote: »
    I am running Windows XP Pro on my laptop and I recently installed SP3 for some reasons. Since then, I get a Windows Application error at each shut-down stage, after the 'windows shutting down' and 'saving your settings' message. It only lasts for a very short time and the system then closes down. There is not sufficient time to record the error details before it disappears off screen but there is an option 'OK' to shut-down or 'Cancel' to debug the program which I have tried on several occasions, unfortunately, it has not cleared up and am worried that this may be harmful to my PC. Does anyone have any views as to whether it is related to the installation of SP3 or is it co-incidental? Also, is there a 'fix' for this or should I revert to the system settings, prior to the upgrade to SP3. Post installation of SP3 I tidied up my disk and cleaned it up etc. I am confident that it is not related to the running of 'ccleaner' as I did this on many occasions previously, without any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If you press the pause break key it should pause the screen to see what's happening when it's shutting down, you could have a trojan or spyware, try running malwarebytes, can you put it into safe mode and see what happens when you try and shut it down from safe mode, to get safe mode it's usually pressing the key F8 on start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

200motels wrote: »
    If you press the pause break key it should pause the screen to see what's happening when it's shutting down, you could have a trojan or spyware, try running malwarebytes, can you put it into safe mode and see what happens when you try and shut it down from safe mode, to get safe mode it's usually pressing the key F8 on start up.

Many thanks 200motels - will try that next time I am shutting down. I should have also stated in my earlier post that, as part of my tidy-up, I ran Malwarebytes, post installation of SP3 and got a clean bill of health.

Many thanks 200motels - will try that next time I am shutting down. I should have also stated in my earlier post that, as part of my tidy-up, I ran Malwarebytes, post installation of SP3 and got a clean bill of health.
    You could also as you suggested do a system restore and try and instal service pack 3 again to see what happens, keep us informed as I'm interested how everything fairs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

There is not sufficient time to record the error details

Check the Event Log.

As a workaround, you can resort to this registry tweak or use Superfast Shutdown but keep in mind that this will not resolve the underlying issue.

200motels wrote: »
    You could also as you suggested do a system restore and try and instal service pack 3 again to see what happens, keep us informed as I'm interested how everything fairs out.

Will leave that option for the moment. Did not have any success in pausing the error message on screen - will try at each shut-down, hopefully it will succeed at some stage. Started windows in safe-mode as you suggested and ran shut-down successfully without error message. I did not work with any of the applications while in safe-mode which perhaps explains the normal shut-down - I am not even sure if MS applications work in safe mode. I will try to establish which of the MS applications seem to be the cause of the problem, by process of elimination and will hopefully come up with something.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Check the Event Log.

As a workaround, you can resort to this registry tweak or use Superfast Shutdown but keep in mind that this will not resolve the underlying issue.

Would prefer to resolve the underlying issue rather than the registry tweaks, but useful to know. Can you please advise how to check the Event Log? Thank you for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

start , ctrl panel, event viewer

The error heading is McSvHost and the following information is given in the Events Log.....Source DCOM.....The server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The error heading is McSvHost and the following information is given in the Events Log.....Source DCOM.....The server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    https://www.google.ie/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=dcom+was+unable+to+communic

McSvHost is a McAfee component, you might want to start there.

• Advertisement

It is definitely a McAfee related problem as opposed to a Windows XP issue. I have taken the matter up with McAfee Support, all to no avail, have had 3 support chats without the issue being resolved, software uninstalled and re-installed etc. The problem was then elevated to Tier 2 Support, made arrangements for a call-back at an agreed time, the representative telephoned 2 days later at a time when I was not at my PC, arranged another time and have not heard anything since. I have emailed their customer service to raise a complaint but again, have not had a response. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this unprofessional behaviour from McAfee.

Advertisement