Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free dental care?

Options
  • 01-02-2013 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

In some countries (Canada is one of them, I think the US too), you get free dental care if you join the army. Does Ireland have some kinda armed forces, if so do you get free dental care? If not, can an Irish citizen go up the north and join the British army, and if so do you get free dental care in the British army? I'm not planning on joining the army just to receive free dental care, I would like to learn skills and be forced to get into shape and all that too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There is free dental care in the British Army. I dont know about the Irish army though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

all you get in the irish army is a kick in the teeth whilst looking for benefits..at least in my day:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Yea they do

one of my friends got teeth taken out by them once, he got butchered by the dentist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

ciarang85 wrote: »
    Yea they do

one of my friends got teeth taken out by them once, he got butchered by the dentist :pac:
    Ah so its only crap dental care then? I can pull my teeth out myself, I was hoping for fillings, ruth canals, crowns and other stuff that costs a lot of money in a regular dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Yea there is free dental care in the DF's. It does however lean toward basic work rather than anything cosmetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

There is free dental care in the British Army. I dont know about the Irish army though.

You don't need to join the army to avail of free dental care in Britain. I'm in construction and because I pay national insurance through my taxes I can avail of free dental care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

BogMonkey wrote: »
    Ah so its only crap dental care then? I can pull my teeth out myself, I was hoping for fillings, ruth canals, crowns and other stuff that costs a lot of money in a regular dentist.

If you're teeth are that kinda ****e state, you wont get into the army in the first place so you dont have to worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Free dental work in prison too. Rob the money for dental work and if you get caught you'll get it in prison anyway so it's all win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

John_D80 wrote: »

If you're teeth are that kinda ****e state, you wont get into the army in the first place so you dont have to worry about it.

As he said. A dental exam is part of your medical. You need to be in good all round condition. Not saying you cant have had fillings etc but you cant show up for the medical needing fillings.

Same as with the medical exam when you think about it ... you can have previously have had a broken arm but cant show up with your arm in a cast expecting to be allowed slip through

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Yea there is free dental care in the DF's. It does however lean toward basic work rather than anything cosmetic.
    Does basic work include fillings and ruth canals and stuff like that? My main concern is avoiding getting tooth aches in the future because I'm already starting to get one from a broken tooth I've had for a few years. I'd prefer not to pull it out cuz its my main chewing tooth and its not that badly damaged, I think a filling fell out and a few chips came off it. 2 of my canines are worn down to the point that I don't know how much further to the nerve, they rarely hurt at the moment. If they start hurting, I don't need them too much so I could pull them out, however everytime I smile there'd be the gap so I'd opt for a rool canal instead if they can do that on canines.
    Gooleybag wrote: »
    You don't need to join the army to avail of free dental care in Britain. I'm in construction and because I pay national insurance through my taxes I can avail of free dental care.
    Is it the government that covers the dental work, or the construction company? When you say you pay insurance, is this insurance you have to pay in case or injury due to the occupational hazards of your job? I'm planning on working as a programmer for my brother whos starting a small company, not many occupational hazards there lol. Besides maybe spilling tea on my laptop and electrocuting myself.
    Free dental work in prison too. Rob the money for dental work and if you get caught you'll get it in prison anyway so it's all win.
    lol, that I didn't know. If I was homeless, I wouldn't really be bothered about going to jail, you get shelter, a bed, a toilet, daily meals and even free dental care (something homeless people could really use).
    As he said. A dental exam is part of your medical. You need to be in good all round condition. Not saying you cant have had fillings etc but you cant show up for the medical needing fillings.

Same as with the medical exam when you think about it ... you can have previously have had a broken arm but cant show up with your arm in a cast expecting to be allowed slip through
    They refuse people who need a filling? You sure? Are you in the army, if so do you have experience with the procedures they use to determine whether someone is eligible? As for the medical exam, I'd assume its only disabilities that they reject. Do they give you x-rays to check for fractures/deformed bone structures? I don't think thats possible, in hospitals they have to zoom right in to the fractured area and take multiple x-rays from different angles, they couldn't just x-ray every bone in your body looking for fractures. However, I have a big scar where my worst fracture was because they had to insert pins in it, they'll know I didn't get a straight scar like that in a random accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Does Ireland have some kinda armed forces?

Gentlemen, this has the makings of the biggest wind-up this year so far on boards.ie.

Somebody who wants to join the army to get his teeth fixed is looking at getting the wrong part of his anatomy looked at.

tac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement