Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht

Options
  • 31-01-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm in 5th year at the moment, my standard of Irish really isn't the best. I got a C in the JC, same in my fifth year Christmas test.

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent Gaeltacht to go to. I've never been before so I don't really have any idea where to start. I want somewhere where I'm going to learn a lot, but where I'll at least have some bit of fun. Heard of Brú Na Pairce and looked it up, it seems a bit..intense? I'm not sure if I'd be able for it. If anyone has been there though how did you find it?
    Spleodar seems good too, though they're fully booked out for this summer, so I guess it's a no-go.

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Ok, I don't mean to sound negative, and this is purely my own opinion, but I did not think the Gaeltacht helped my Irish at all. I got a C in the Junior- my lowest grade- but once I came into fifth year it was all just learning off essays. I know the oral is worth a lot now, but personally those essays I found a nightmare.
    So, after forking out nearly two thousand euro to go to the Gaeltacht in second and third year, I needed up dropping to ordinary Irish. Just a word of warning, sorry if this sounds so negative :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

missguided wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year at the moment, my standard of Irish really isn't the best. I got a C in the JC, same in my fifth year Christmas test.

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent Gaeltacht to go to. I've never been before so I don't really have any idea where to start. I want somewhere where I'm going to learn a lot, but where I'll at least have some bit of fun. Heard of Brú Na Pairce and looked it up, it seems a bit..intense? I'm not sure if I'd be able for it. If anyone has been there though how did you find it?
    Spleodar seems good too, though they're fully booked out for this summer, so I guess it's a no-go.

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it, thanks :)

I went to Colaiste Lurgan in Galway when just before going into sixth year and i would highly recommend it! They run a course just for senior cycle students and its only for two weeks. well worth it and there was mighty craic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 seanbhean88

Freedom Surf School are running a Grind-course in Tramore, Waterford this summer. I know the teachers doing it- should be very good- though I've heard it's intense.. They do a kind of Irish class in morning and surfing in evening type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I know Oiléan Chléire in Cork are doing a special LC course in July/August (not sure). It's for 3 weeks and I heard it was fab! They go through all the course content and you get to live with the islanders so you can also get a bit more out of the whole island thing! I would seriously recommend it!!

Advertisement