Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity benefit calculations

Options
  • 31-01-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

If someone was to claim maternity benefit in 2013, the relevant tax year is 2011 but, in 2011 that person was working and then on maternity benefit.

My question is, is the time on maternity benefit used to calculate 2013 benefit? Or is it just the pay for theweeks actually worked in 2011 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

There is more than one way maternity benefit is calculated or you become entitled to it. One of the ways is that you have to have worked 39 weeks in the 12 months prior to your due date/claiming. (check the citizen's advice bureau webpage) They may calculate is this way in your situation. I would call the office in Donegal, they're very good.

I wasn't in the country 2 years ago and I rang to discuss this with them and this is what I was advised. It may apply to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i claimed mat benefit in 2010 and 2011, they used 2009 for the 2011 payment

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Thanks. I know i am entitled and i know its based on 2011 but the question was about calculating whether i get min or max. I was working for 3/4 of 2011 and on maternity benefit the last qtr. Basically im wondering will they only base it on my pay while working ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

On maternity benefit you are counted as working but the amount will be based on your taxable income for that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i got the full payment both times, ring them, they are brilliant on the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement