Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Speed drops when Mac Air is on

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Here is a strange one for ye all.

We have a Digiweb Metro connection with a Thomson modem. In the house are 2 PC wired to it an ipad and 2 iphone on wireless.. + a Macbook Air.. when the Air is on the speed on all other devices plummets to a near standstill.

We are at a loss as to the cause of it. If I got into the modem and change settings like the wifi channel etc... its actually helps for a time then a day later its back slow ONLY when the air is in use.

I tried putting a static ip on the air and that didnt help either.

Anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not familiar with mac os and you might get better answers in the mac forum,

But it might be something on the mac pulling the bandwidth. For instance when I haven't run my desktop in a few days my internet can be painfully slow while the pc syncs up with my photostream and my skydrive. Torrent applications are also notorious for bandwidth hogging if you haven't set any upload/download caps on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

The move was a little early, given the slow down affects a wired in windows machine also after the Mac connects to it.

Its nothing on the mac sucking bandwidth ive checked... its simply browsing the web and the whole entire network slows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Older Wi-Fi models offered 11 Mbps, mid-range 802.11g routers 54 Mbps and the latest 802.11n routers claim up to 450 Mbps. If your MacBook air is running at 11g speed, the router will slow down to accommodate it.

Just a guess.

Ya it's not that the air is a mid 2012 model so I can safely say its got at the very least a wireless g card probably an n though.

I have an old wireless g router I've plugged into the modem and have the air connecting through that. Will see if it makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Well the other router didn't solve anything. We have tried a work MacBook Pro on the network and that works fine. So it's deffo something about the air that is causing it.

Advertisement