Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bootstrapping a Business - Looking for Work Premises

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there,

After nearly 3 years on the dole and hundreds of job rejections, I've decided to start my own business. However, like many others I dont have a penny to my name and plan on bootstrapping this business as much as possible. For that reason I have spent many hours learning everything I can about marketing so that I can grow this business myself, without worrying about the cost of hiring a marketer that I could not afford in the first place. However, there is one major hurdle I havent figured out how to get over. I live in rented accommodation so it's not possible to operate my business from the premises. Besides it's a workshop or shed I need as my product is woodworking product. Do i just give up and admit defeat or can anyone think of a way around this? I cant afford to rent a workshop until I start making money from product sales. Yet I cant make products without a workshop. Im based in Waterford. So if anyone knows of anyone with a spare workshop or shed that is just lying idle perhaps I could come to some sort of arrangement with them (I've plenty of skills that I could offer for free in return such as carpentry, plumbing, tiling, general business work) until my business is up and running. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Why not post your enquiry in the Waterford section? You might get a better response there.

As you're bootstrapping I have a free Excel template you can use for your accounts - cashflow/p&l, invoice etc. Just PM me your email address so I can send it to you.

If you haven't got Microsoft Office then download Open Office. It's free and does exactly the same things http://www.openoffice.org/

Good luck to you, you're doing the right thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

RTE's "The Business" had a register of property available "free in exchange for ..." last year. It's not visible since they redesigned the site, but might be worth sending them an e-mail to see if it's still there in the background. They had some properties in Waterford, but can't remember what type they were. If you sell it right, they might even make a case study out of your efforts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 loukee

Why not post your enquiry in the Waterford section? You might get a better response there.

As you're bootstrapping I have a free Excel template you can use for your accounts - cashflow/p&l, invoice etc. Just PM me your email address so I can send it to you.

If you haven't got Microsoft Office then download Open Office. It's free and does exactly the same things http://www.openoffice.org/

Good luck to you, you're doing the right thing. :D

Cheers Gloomtastic. I'm fairly new to all this so I'm only seeing your reply now. Thanks for the advice. And I will indeed PM you my email address (when I figure out how to :) ) for that excel template. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 loukee

RTE's "The Business" had a register of property available "free in exchange for ..." last year. It's not visible since they redesigned the site, but might be worth sending them an e-mail to see if it's still there in the background. They had some properties in Waterford, but can't remember what type they were. If you sell it right, they might even make a case study out of your efforts! :D

Cheers for that Celtic Rambler. That sounds like a great idea. Going to go a googling them right now to see can I dig up anything on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I am in THE EXACT same boat as yourself,only problem is i am in Offaly which is a pity as we could have discussed saving costs by sharing equipment and premises.
    Best of luck with your business.
    loukee wrote: »
    Hi there,

After nearly 3 years on the dole and hundreds of job rejections, I've decided to start my own business. However, like many others I dont have a penny to my name and plan on bootstrapping this business as much as possible. For that reason I have spent many hours learning everything I can about marketing so that I can grow this business myself, without worrying about the cost of hiring a marketer that I could not afford in the first place. However, there is one major hurdle I havent figured out how to get over. I live in rented accommodation so it's not possible to operate my business from the premises. Besides it's a workshop or shed I need as my product is woodworking product. Do i just give up and admit defeat or can anyone think of a way around this? I cant afford to rent a workshop until I start making money from product sales. Yet I cant make products without a workshop. Im based in Waterford. So if anyone knows of anyone with a spare workshop or shed that is just lying idle perhaps I could come to some sort of arrangement with them (I've plenty of skills that I could offer for free in return such as carpentry, plumbing, tiling, general business work) until my business is up and running. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

You should contact your local Men's Shed as many of them are set up for woodworking - there may be times that the facility would be available for your use:
    http://www.menssheds.ie/find-a-shed/

Advertisement