Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny On Pitch Stories

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Coming off another thread I thought it'd be a good idea for a thread to bring up stories of things that have happened to you on the pitch that you can look back on now and find funny.

For me, 1 of the funniest to look back on now was during training 1 day 1 of the players was being a bit over-zealous in trying to rip the ball off a guy, cue the guy throwing the ball in your man's face full force for about 2 feet with "if it means that f**king much to you you can have it".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Went back playing a bit prematurely, thinking that an older fatter less fit version could be the same kind of backrow as before, about 25 mins in, our props took pity on me and wouldn't let me disengage from the long dead scrum, both front rows were shagged and talking about the stew and pints awaiting them after the match, then casually break up and slowly trot,across the pitch. I miss seconds rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That reminds me of my mate (hooker) getting clocked by a stray punch in the scrum, only thing was it came from our own back row who was aiming for the opponent hooker, cue "if you f**king do that again I'll f**king kill you" being shouted in the scrum, 10 minutes later there was the unusual situation where the scrum broke up cause the hooker stood up to try to get at his own back row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

3rd's game back in 6th year school on a Saturday morning, scrum had to be moved 5 meters because our second row (extremely hungover) puked just before the scrum engaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Playing for my school against our arch-rivals - on their pitch, with their supporters. Proudly fielded an up-and-under despite the opposition charging on, and loudly called "mark!". The ref promptly blew the whistle, before a sideline supporter chirped up "he's on half-way, ref!". And indeed I was.

Cue ongoing jibes for the rest of the match...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Playing wing for my school in 2nd year, did all the hard work and was running in a try, only problem was my laces were untied and I tripped over them. Though luckily I fell over the line :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

We landed down to Athlone for a Division 3 Colleges match, opened the jersey bag... full of beer.

We'd brought the Beer down for the trip back, but forgot the jerseys.

Had to play in a vast array of jerseys and we got stomped, but it was some session on the trip back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

u-14's game
    guy on my team stands on players head in a ruck- ref immediately stops game
    Ref: "Right your off- you can't stand on peoples heads"
    My teammate: "I didn't stand on his head... I stood on his ear"

no players were seriously hurt in this story

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Right before a J4 game a couple of seasons ago, the ref asks over the two front rows and scrum halfs for a chat about the scrum timing and put in.

Our 9 is, let's say, a little on the heavy side. The ref proceeds to talk about the timing and the put in, turns to our hooker tells him to put it in straight and turns to our scrummie and tells him to watch his bind.

"I'm the scrumhalf sir.."

Cue hilarious laughter..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Few years ago we were playing another team... one of our props had been getting up the opposition's noses all day and had landed a hand on one of their players.
    Cue the usual scuffle and when they calmed down, the opposition player said to the ref "ah ref, he punched me"

Our player turned to walk away while saying "I didn't punch you, I B1TCH-SLAPPED you!"

Cue roars of laughter from both teams as the two lads got stuck into each other again while the ref rolled his eyes to heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Playing U14's many years ago at our home ground. Anyway, usual kerfuffle after a ruck by the sideline and one of the opposition makes a remark about our out half's ma (as you do) only for the outhalf to literally grab him by the ear, drag him 10 metres up the line and apologise to his ma... cue laughter from everyone!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

I played a season in New Zealand a few years back when I was young and carefree.

They put me and a mate of mine up in a house, got us jobs and paid us with beer vouchers for the bar.

For a young Irish lad I was taken aback by the brutality of these monsters from the countryside in NZ. These were all farmers sons who had hands the size of shovels and literally bet the sh!te out of each other in training and matches.

Anyway, before our first league match of the season an old seasoned prop came up to me and said ‘when the first scrum breaks up just punch their hooker’ (I was playing Hooker obviously)

I didn’t dare question him and took it on board.

About 5 mins into the game yours truly fumbled the ball and we set for the scrum.

Sure enough as soon as we engaged the scrum broke up, myself and my two props punched our opposite men and a bit of a row ensued. The whole match was incredible niggley and I suffered unbelievable amount of abuse from their second row with punches at every breakdown.

At the final whistle both teams had a hug and a good laugh and went into the shed to get ready for the feed.

I went up to the prop and asked him how he knew the scrum was going to break up and why did we have to throw digs. He told me and this was confirmed by others that before running out onto the park he stuck his finger up his ar$e , at the first scrum he shoved his finger up his oppositions nose and said we punched them because they would have hit us either way.

Strange times but great group of lads.

The craic after that match with the other team in the bar was unreal. Everything was left on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

Was captain of a J3 team travelling 2 hours to play in Boyne one Sunday morning a few years back. Lots of lads badly hugover as usual. We managed to get to half time 10 points down (the ref was screwing us), and the water bottles ( Milk cartons ) were handed out. A few of the heavier more hugover lads made a beeline for them and proceeded to suck down the entire bottle only to cough, splutter and nearly choke on the side of the pitch. I hadn't realised my dad had used the bottles during the week to get petrol for the lawnmower and I hadn't rinsed out properly.:D Had a great laugh about it. Of course, I then did the gentlemanly thing and offered the ref a drink too. :D:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Playing an early season game we were coasting, about 20/25 points up so the coach stuck on a new fella, big guy turned out to be a head-the-ball. Comes on for a line out on their 22', we take secure and set, matey joins the back and yells 'steeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee' he had being watching from the sideline and had thought the should also coincided with Steve the lock getting the ball. Both packs and referee burst out laughing.

To me: picking and going from a maul in a derby game, being tackled on the line and placing the ball over it,it was the 5mtr line. Still gets brought up. I still secured the ball afterwards mind you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Playing away to DLSP on one of their mud patches, their 10 breaking the line and running from halfway he dives over the 5 meter line thinking it was the try line. He got up to huge laughter from everyone before we all realised the ball was still live.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Winters wrote: »
    Playing away to DLSP on one of their mud patches, their 10 breaking the line and running from halfway he dives over the 5 meter line thinking it was the try line. He got up to huge laughter from everyone before we all realised the ball was still live.

Ah scoring a try on the 5m line! I've seen this one a couple of times myself - still rib one of the fellas over it and it must be more than 10 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Thinking I was shouting 'pop left left left!!' in Japanese for the ball.......turns out I was shouting 'pop right right right!!'. Centre throws a perfect pop pass to his right....to nobody. Opposition end up scoring a try from it. Luckily we we already 30 points up, but they still never let me forget, and always ask me the Japanese for right and left before we play a game. :pac: (and rightly so!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Playing U16's for Bohs and we went up to Skerries for a match, we were supposed to stay with our opposite no's but as soon as the bus dropped us off at the Skerries clubhouse we were ordering taxis into town.

Can barely remember the night but a few of us managed to get back to the clubhouse at about 4am. With no where to go and not being able to break in to the dressing rooms, 5 of us slept on top of the oil tank beside the clubhouse.

Our match was at 11 the next morning and we were awoken by the Skerries coach the next morning who had come to open the changing rooms. Few of us managed to grab some more kip in the changing room before the game.

Needless to say, we didn't do so well in the match, I dislocated my shoulder in the first 10 mins and had to be brought to the nearest A&E. The dislocation went underneath the back of the shoulder blade so I had to be knocked for them to get it back in.

Apparently, it took 2 attempts to put me under due to the amount of alcohol in my blood so it took me a long while to come around. Meanwhile, the rest oft he team were being brought to LR to see Ire v Sco in the 5N.

I ended up being discharged and had to spend the rest of the afternoon completely out of it sprawled out across the back seat of the team bus.

Last game of rugby I ever played.

100% true story unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Playing for the junior b's team at schools level, the opposition kicked the ball over our defensive back line and it lands bobbing close to the touch line.

As a scrum half I play the sweeper role and just as I arrive I see 2 massive opposition players bearing down on the ball.

The only choice I have is to boot the ball into touch mid-stride.

You know how difficult it can be to kick a bobbing ball when you're arriving near full pace often resulting in you slicing or missing the ball completely? Not in this case. I connected and connected well.

Walloped the ball straight into the opposition coach's nuts. He falls over in screams of agony.

Even the other team were laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

In 2nd year in schools, we played Blackrock away. All their rugby pitches were being used so we ended up playing on a soccer pitch. There were no conversions, yet we ended up losing 135-0. We made less than 10 tackles in the whole match. It was a good laugh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I thought I would make a thread where people would come and share their stories about rugby. Whether you were on tour, watching or playing the game, or having one of those "team bonding sessions" down the local, as long as it is funny/interesting story, it counts!

I'll get the ball rolling.

I was about 15 years old, playing junior schools rugby (B standard ;) ) at outside centre. Halfway into the second half, a big, hairy, overweight prop charged at myself and our flanker. The flanker wrapped him around the torso and I somehow managed to have the prop in a semi headlock. This lad was big for a 15 year and really started to pump the legs. He was driving the two of us back fairly rapidly, and for some reason still unknown to myself, I grabbed his curly locks and fell backwards, pulling the prop with me. I heard him roaring in pain and needless to say, I scrabbled away fairly quickly. The only person that saw the "tackle" was our scrum half, and he was literally crying laughing. It isn't great I know but it is a fond memory!

• Advertisement

This was kind of the same thread Chabals Beard

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82987084

Ah damn, well, mods can lock this now so

:(

Ah damn, well, mods can lock this now so

I'm definitely not a Mod! But I don't think people will keep retelling their amusing stories...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

was playing under-19 a few seasons back and we couldn't field a full team as per usual, the under-17 team didn't have a match so a few of them said they would come along to make up the numbers.

most of us at this stage were still playing because we didn't have anything better to do on a saturday and we enjoyed the piss ups after the match.

Que five minutes into the match and a fight breaks out, nothing over the top just the usual crap that happened every game. Of course this would be common through out the match, later on in the game one of the younger lads gets clean knocked out off the ball with a punch. We took exception as the lad was barely 16.

Game ended 0-0 after 25 minutes as it descended into a 10 minutes brawl and the ref wouldnt let us get back to it after tempers had calmed down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Swiwi wrote: »
    I'm definitely not a Mod! But I don't think people will keep retelling their amusing stories...

Have you ever met a rugby player in a pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Swiwi wrote: »

My uncle, at 50 still tells the story of his one try he scored as a prop when he was 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

decisions wrote: »
    My uncle, at 50 still tells the story of his one try he scored as a prop when he was 20.
    At least he can tell a story about scoring a try... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

decisions wrote: »

A 60m dash no doubt, whilst fending off 5 or 6 defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Every rugby player I know... Maybe not now, but they will be this man eventually!

Advertisement