Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accident in work vehicle affect personal insurance

• 31-01-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

i had an accident in a work vehicle up north and it was under a northern policy, it has all been sorted but now im wondering does this affect my own personal car insurance held in the south, in particular "have you had an accident in the past 5 years" etc...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes you need to declare it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

deaglan169 wrote: »
    i had an accident in a work vehicle up north and it was under a northern policy, it has all been sorted but now im wondering does this affect my own personal car insurance held in the south, in particular "have you had an accident in the past 5 years" etc...
    Were you at fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

it hasnt gone to court yet if even court so im not sure what the police outcome will be on it yet, the insurance side was all handled through work i had no real input to it at all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Who paid whom? If your insurer paid out they have essentially accepted liability.

my work insurance has paid out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Disclosure is mandatory and it may affect your premium too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Disclosure is mandatory and it may affect your premium too.

So you're liable. You'll be obliged to disclose an at fault accident.

great..... thanks for info all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You have to disclose it at the renewal date, techinaclly it should not effect your insurance however if there was a payout of more than 5K then you will find it hard to change insurers. Insurance companies know this so for years 2-5 you are at the mercy of the system.

I myself believe that this is unfair as a person that drives vehicle for there employer may be putting up huge milage compare to a social and domestic driver only. Also they may have reduced milage as a private driver you are less likly to go for a spin in the evening if you have put up 3or400 work Km during the day.

would the fact that the accident happened in the north and was processed by a UK insurance compney have any reflect on my own, i feel its very unfair, my insurance is up for renewal in march

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

would the fact that the accident happened in the north and was processed by a UK insurance compney have any reflect on my own, i feel its very unfair, my insurance is up for renewal in march

No the question is in relation to you as a driver and any accidents you were found to be at fault for, regardless of the vehicle involved.

no way around it so ohh well gotta grin and bear it i guess

You have to disclose it at the renewal date, techinaclly it should not effect your insurance however if there was a payout of more than 5K then you will find it hard to change insurers. Insurance companies know this so for years 2-5 you are at the mercy of the system...

It certainly can affect personal cover, and where did the figure of €5k come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

It certainly can affect personal cover, and where did the figure of €5k come from?

Usually with accidents below this figures if claim is setteled other insurers will still quote however if above this they will not.

I have declared a an accident from a different policy before however the company stated that it made no difference however the following year my insurance climbed and they did not budge as they knew than I could not price elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

So they would expect me to declare me running down an ox in Cambodia with a hire car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

So they would expect me to declare me running down an ox in Cambodia with a hire car?
    Yep, if a claim was paid to the owner of the Ox (or the Ox's dependants. Cambodia is a funny place)

Bottom lines is that you must disclose it to your personal insurer. However, they cannot affect your NCB unless they had to contribute to the cost of the claim. If your insurers have a rate increase, you'll have to suffer that, as alternative insurers are unlikely to offer a quote if the loss was above €3k/€5k

Advertisement