Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studying Education in UK

• 31-01-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi :)
    I am considering studying Education in the U.K when I leave school. I have been thinking about Aberdeen college in Scotland and Aberystwyth in Wales. I want to study Primary teaching and I was wondering if anyone has any info AT ALL about studying here or other colleges/uni's in the U.K ie college fees, atmosphere, cost of living, is irish available here as it is a core subject for teaching in Ireland after graduation, past or present experiences, anything at all :)
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hi Bang123,

I went to uni in Glasgow for 3 years and it was probably the best decision I ever made. Education is free in Scotland for everyone in the EU (with the exception of NI, England and Wales!). The UK really with the exception of southern England and Edinburgh/St. Andrews is much cheaper than in Ireland. My rent in Glasgow was £190 a month and I imagine Aberdeen would be around the same.

I dont know anything about studying primary teaching in the UK but if there's anything else I can help wi ye only need ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bang123

Do you think Scotland offers better opportunity than Irish Universities?Did you find any people perticularily 'cagey' towards you, as you were Irish? Just out of interest what did you study in uni?..I'm trying to get advice on all courses out there :P
    I think the free education is a big influence as the cost of college in Ireland is rising at such a rate. I wont be entering college until 2015 so by the time I'd be finished the fees will (more than likely) be an almighty price, putting quiet a strain on my family as my siblings are 11-15 years younger than me. ~
    Thank you so much, this is a great help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Bang123 wrote: »
    Do you think Scotland offers better opportunity than Irish Universities?Did you find any people perticularily 'cagey' towards you, as you were Irish? Just out of interest what did you study in uni?..I'm trying to get advice on all courses out there :P
    I think the free education is a big influence as the cost of college in Ireland is rising at such a rate. I wont be entering college until 2015 so by the time I'd be finished the fees will (more than likely) be an almighty price, putting quiet a strain on my family as my siblings are 11-15 years younger than me. ~
    Thank you so much, this is a great help :)

I started my undergrad in Trinity but I left because I hated it! I never found anyone to be cagey to me for being Irish. That whole Rangers Celtic pish doesn't matter to the ordinary person and I have plenty pals from either supporters. I studied Russian and French.

Yea the free education is a huge thing. If you do go down that route all you have to do is apply to an agency called SAAS, they basically pay your fees. Other pals in the UK are looking at a pretty big debt and their courses are much shorter in duration. Now it can be argued that's a good thing but in Scotland your standard degree is still 4 years and no fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

Advertisement