Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR's Jan 2013

Options
  • 31-01-2013 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Fm104 twice as many listeners as 98fm according to the latest news. the Strawberry Alarm Clock reaching 101,000 listeners which is mighty impressive. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Same figures as before, very little has happened in the Dublin scene. Phantom have gained some and Spin have lost some...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Any link to the results? the top results on Google are less than helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Some good analysis at www.ilevel.ie

Some selective stats at www.bai.ie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ah, found the book through Snip(Thanks Bard :))

Link.

All unchanged in Cork so it seems. Spin losing out, 2FM holding steady for the most part but losing listeners in a few of the regions. And Today FM down as well, which isn't wholly surprising, but sad to see nonetheless.

Be interesting to see the show by show breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus Tubbers down to his last 160,000 listeners, or the same as World Report which goes out at 8.00 am on Sunday morning when all decent people are still asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Any word on Tom Dunne? if he doesn't top 70,000 he has to be in trouble especially with D'arcy up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Anyone know Foley's figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Badabing wrote: »
    Any word on Tom Dunne? if he doesn't top 70,000 he has to be in trouble especially with D'arcy up

He's been in trouble from day one really, wasn't he down around the mid 50's last time?

mike65 wrote: »
    Jasus Tubbers down to his last 160,000 listeners, or the same as World Report which goes out at 8.00 am on Sunday morning when all decent people are still asleep!

Any link for that?

Can't find anything on individual shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

THE LATEST RADIO listenership figures have been released, with most radio stations finding something to share their happiness about.
    RTÉ Radio 1 remains the country’s most popular radio station, with its weekend schedule performing particularly well, while Morning Ireland, Liveline and the Marian Finucane Show remaining the country’s three most popular shows.
    Morning Ireland’s average audience for the 2012 year stood at 441,000, with Liveline at 420,000 and the Saturday edition of Marian Finucane claiming 363,000 users.
    Today FM claimed to be the only national station which showed growth in its overall daily audience, as it consolidated its status as the second most-popular station.
    470,000 people listen to Today FM on a daily basis, compared to 382,000 for RTÉ 2fm.
    The Ray D’Arcy Show remains its most popular show, with 243,000 daily listeners, while Ian Dempsey’s breakfast show stands at 175,000.
    The Last Word with Matt Cooper has a daily audience of 160,000. Today FM’s lunchtime slot – now held by Keith ‘KC’ Cunningham’s, who took over from the departing Ray Foley in October, has grown its audience by 7,000 – to 151,000 – in 2012.
    2FM, which has had a series of challenging results, said it was encouraged by the final results for 2012, with RTÉ Radio managing director Clare Duignan saying the station had some notable year-on-year increases in its schedule.
    Ryan Tubridy remains its most popular presenter, with 160,000 listeners – but that number is down by 16,000 in the last year. Hector Ó hEochagáin’s breakfast show claims 124,000.
    The evening 7pm-10pm slot taken by Dave Fanning and Jenny Greene claims just 25,000 listeners, however – a poor return ahead of the introduction of 2FM’s new sports show next month, which will take the first hour of this slot, and all three hours when it broadcasts soccer commentaries.
    Newstalk said it had won an extra 6,000 ABC1 (high-spending) listeners each day, with George Hook’s drivetime show up 2,000 to 131,000, and Sean Moncrieff’s afternoon magazine up the same amount to 95,000.
    Multi-city station 4FM was happy with the 12 per cent growth in its weekly reach, to 159,000, with its ABC1 listenership up by 17 per cent. Of particular interest was growth in its reach in Galway, which was up by 38 per cent, and in Cork by 17 per cent.
    Independent broadcasters – including local stations – claimed their combined market share clearly outstripped that of RTÉ in every area of the country, with non-RTÉ broadcasters commanding nearly 68 per cent of the national radio market between 7am and 7pm every day.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jnlr-listenership-figures-2012-778161-Jan2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

Tubridy has lost another 16,000.

• Advertisement

Tubridy has lost another 16,000.

Just from reading your quote, it seems Tubridy has lost none in this round. His losses occurred in previous books AFAICS.

Good to see KC up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Ladies, - put the handbags away!

The top 30 are here - Tubbs Down, Marions Sunday Show took a beating - Hector joined the top 30!

Tom Dunne maintained his numbers @53k and reach - each station here

Outside that nothing smashing - other than spectacular increase for Galway Bay

Ray Foley isn't in the survey - or is between stools - but still, I genuinely feel for him rant here

Hat tip to FM104 - but the share figures are still in RTE's favor.

Thank you, and Good Night......

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just from reading your quote, it seems Tubridy has lost none in this round. His losses occurred in previous books AFAICS.

I think your misread it. In the last book he had 175,000 listeners, over the past year he has lost 16,000.

I think your misread it. In the last book he had 175,000 listeners, over the past year he has 16,000.

Yeah but I thought he had around the 160k mark in October.

It doesn't really matter anyway, I was just curious. He's still down 16k from this time last year.

Sunday Miscellany gained 24k? That's bonkers! :pac:

It's the next quarter's results that I'll be interested in. I'd be hoping to see Foley bridge that gap between 98 and 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

How did phantom do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How did phantom do?

Down to 16K average daily listeners, must be near plug-pulling time...

Amazing how dominant Radio 1 is when you think, the ten most popular progs, and all but two of the next ten. Does the main national talk station dominate any other country's market like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Phantom had a slight increase in market share though up from .7 to .9 from the 2nd and 3rd quarters of last year. The oldest JNLR on the BAI website had them having a market share of 1.4 (down .3) from a similar time in 2009, so to lose half your market share in 4 years is not good and a dropping down to 16k from 22k listeners last year is also not good. Although if the market share picks up they will start claiming back listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

How are these numbers calculated?

For example, do BBC feature much? I listen to a lot of BBCR5 and BBCR4 on an internet radio.

Also, I listen to TalkSport on TuneIn in my car.

If people in, say, Galway who were fans of Ray Foley on Today FM, and decided to use the TuneIn App to "stay loyal" to him, and listen to him in the mornings, does that count as part of his numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭smallfridge

As far as I know, JNLR are only counted for those listening to AM/FM in Ireland. I'm open to correction there.

But the BBC is not a station broadcasting to republic so there fore would be considered OTHER. Much the same as a pirate would.

Or if you're in Galway and say "I listen to 98fm" then that would also be considered OTHER.

Again, I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Amazing how dominant Radio 1 is when you think, the ten most popular progs, and all but two of the next ten. Does the main national talk station dominate any other country's market like this?

Phantom on 16k a day ? well 4FM arent much better, their facebook page is saying they have 158k a week !!! after 4 years and a total format change and millions of euros, the quasi national station have the same number of listeners in a week as ian dempsey gets in one show, end game on the horizon for more than phantom by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

heybaby wrote: »
    Phantom on 16k a day ? well 4FM arent much better, their facebook page is saying they have 158k a week !!! after 4 years and a total format change and millions of euros, the quasi national station have the same number of listeners in a week as ian dempsey gets in one show, end game on the horizon for more than phantom by the looks of it.

Indeed. And you wonder how long Denis O'Brien will keep bankrolling his vanity project Newstalk. Depressingly, it seems like the radio market is a cold house for anything other than a meat & 2 veg chart pop station...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

How did Tom Dunne do and Colm Hayes?? Can you get individual show figures anywhere??

How are these numbers calculated?

For example, do BBC feature much? I listen to a lot of BBCR5 and BBCR4 on an internet radio.

Also, I listen to TalkSport on TuneIn in my car.

If people in, say, Galway who were fans of Ray Foley on Today FM, and decided to use the TuneIn App to "stay loyal" to him, and listen to him in the mornings, does that count as part of his numbers?

The data is collected by using a survey. I think the sample size is 15,000.

The only reason the research is done is to determine how much radio stations charge for advertising slots in Ireland. Which wouldn't be relevant to the BBC or TalkSport.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

JNLR Wave 4/2012 has brought about a few larger and quite a few smaller shifts in the Dublin market which is my particular area of focus. The excellent breakdowns on the ilevel.ie blog explain the results far better than I can but I will add my own bit of trend based analysis too.

As always, I start with a health warning about comparing book on book figures in isolation. There are four books a year and there are often changes in one book which are not continued at all by the time the next wave comes around. You really have to look at trends over 4 books as I do, or compare year on year as ilevel does to get any sort of sense out of the numbers.

The numbers then. Good book for UTV in particular who saw share for FM104 rise by 0.6 to a very impressive 14.2% and Q102 who saw their share rise by 1.2 to 9.3%. To have two stations taking almost a quarter of the Dublin market is pretty good work and FM104s performance in particular yet again backs up the argument for consistency of output. Watch the trends and see how this has developed.

Over the river in the Malt House they paused long enough from hanging out the For Sale signs to welcome a solid set of figures. 98FM recovered somewhat with a 0.4% gain in share although from a very low starting point of 6.9%, particularly when compared with the figure at this point 2 years ago when they were at 11.6% share. The worry for 98FM is that apart from their very low share they are now quite some distance behind Q102 (nearly 2%) and .6% behind stablemates Spin who remain impressively at 8%. Looking at the trends, Spin is Communicorps FM104 and they very much need to keep it that way. Steady work too for Today FM and Newstalk who perform poorer and better respectively in the urban and rural markets.

Disaster of a book for 2FM who seemed to have stopped the rot last time around, although the trends once again have proved to be remarkably consistent in showing the pretty rapid decline in their Dublin audience despite the occasional jump upwards (such as 2012/3). At 4.8% in Dublin the time really is right for 2FM to decide what it is and go for it rather than being a poor Hector/Tubridy hybrid that seems to please no-one. The future of 2FM is now far from certain.

Steady book too for Nova who were in danger of falling off a cliff as so many classic rock radio stations do around the world. The 2.7% share is very respectable and anything that trends between 2.5 and 3% will provide Nova with a good listener and spend base. Not so good for Sunshine who are continuing to trend poorly by tiny increments. This time they have dropped a further 0.2% to 2.4% which will be a significant worry for their masters around the corner on Castleforbes Street. The downward trend has been clear for some time now though and does not seem to have been acted on. Two years ago, Sunshine/Country Mix had a very decent 3.2% share. If they can stabilise in the 2 - 2.5% range then they will be fine, otherwise they risk dropping back into the mire with the bottom feeders who form the final part of this analyis below.

Some small gains for 4FM who have boosted their share to 1.3% from 1.1 in the last book. Looking again at the trends though, this is no improvement on the figures of 2 years ago (2010/4) or last year (2011/4) which must also be a signficant worry in Castleforbes. The Classic Hits formula hasn't grabbed imaginations at all in Dublin but has some potential outside of the capital if they can make some advertising revenue from it through opt-out ads etc. Otherwise, they really are in danger.

Minor improvement for Phantom too as mentioned earlier in the thread and to be honest they have exceeded my expectations by still being around for this book. Share has risen to 0.9% up 0.2% which will give some much needed comfort but they had dropped to such a level that they really had to improve. The upward trend needs to continue and gain some serious momentum if Phantom is to survive. The trends look like 2FM in miniature though which is far from encouraging. Weekly reach continues to fall and no station can afford to drop 20% of its already minute audience reach in a year (22,000 daily to 16,000 daily).

That is my take on this book, happy to take questions from the floor. Keep an eye on ilevel.ie for really good graphs and explanations and ignore every press release, crappy video and piece of spin you see. Radio stations risk seriously devaluing their own rating system by the ridiculous use of JNLR data in promos and advertising and I can vouch for several Ad agencies who nowadays anticipate the free pizza on the day after the JNLR figures far more than the figures contained within.

RadioAnalyst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Indeed. And you wonder how long Denis O'Brien will keep bankrolling his vanity project Newstalk. Depressingly, it seems like the radio market is a cold house for anything other than a meat & 2 veg chart pop station...

Im a fan of newstalk myself, so Id rather he got rid of phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Steady book too for Nova who were in danger of falling off a cliff

Must push harder..........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭GSF

Steady book too for Nova who were in danger of falling off a cliff

Must push harder..........:D

Is steady good enough? I'm amazed at how these stations can keep going on such low figures with relatively high overheads

Caledonman wrote: »
    How did Tom Dunne do and Colm Hayes?? Can you get individual show figures anywhere??

Top 30 here

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102439-top-30-programmes-2012-4-jnlr

Please note - the comparative here is Jan Dec 2012 compared to Jan Dec 2011 and not compared to Oct’11-Sep’12!

The excellent breakdowns on the ilevel.ie blog explain the results far better than I can

:o I blushed!

Cheers

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

16k per week I'm pretty sure...

Advertisement