Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL Precison T3400 Desktop - BIOS Update from AO5 to AO8 on Windows 8?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

No harm in keeping the BIOS up to date but why A08? A14 is the latest version.

Just went through the change logs from A08 to A14:
    Added support for newer processors

Enhanced microcode selection algorithm

Corrected improper reporting of L3 cache size

Fixed a issue that show errormsg: "invalid checksum" when using command ¡°dmesg |less¡± under Linux to check TCPA table if TPM security is set to "off" in BIOS setup.

Fixed a issue that TCG StatusCheck doesn't properly identify the start of the last event in the log.

Implement Digital Signing and DA Token for Digital Signing enablement

Support windows signing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Torquay,

Many thanks.

I went to the dell.ie site and there were a shed load of downloads that I should be installing! ;)

Am going to start with the BIOS and then install the remaining 17!

Thanks again.

D.

Torquay,

A small problem...

I have installed the Dell Download Application. All the downloads are complete and listed in the Firefox window.

However, if I click on Intall in this window, a message appears saying, "Please make sure you are logged in as Administrator and restart the application by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Run Elevated"."

I can switch to Administrator (by returning to the icon screen and right-clicking on my name and choosing Me-Administrator) but, once it switches over, only the bare Windows 8 apps are visible. The folder I downloaded to is gone and I can't see where the DELL download app might be.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

You should download anything from Dell via your browser, not their download manager.

Do not run the executable from your browser, just save it and then run it from your download folder as administrator. (and close all other applications)

Torquay,

Many thanks.

Turns out most of the downloads are not for Windows 8. But, I have updated the BIOS.

Oddly, in the DELL drop down menu for System, Windows 8 isn't listed.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dinarius wrote: »
    Torquay,

Many thanks.

Turns out most of the downloads are not for Windows 8. But, I have updated the BIOS.

D.

They don't usually run through OS support verification for their older systems once newer iterations of the model are available. The current Precisions are the x600 so they focus on them; they might do some testing on the x500 series since it's feasible customers might have bought them and want to upgrade to Win 8 during the supported lifespan of the system, but I wouldn't expect them to go beyond that.

Not a big surprise, the machine is 5 years old and apparently not supported. So don't expect any technical assistance from Dell regarding your USB issues. ;)

Mind you, even their "latest and greatest" Precision workstations cannot be ordered with Windows 8... which says a lot. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Torqay wrote: »
    Not a big surprise, the machine is 5 years old and apparently not supported. So don't expect any technical assistance from Dell regarding your USB issues. ;)

Mind you, even their "latest and greatest" Precision workstations cannot be ordered with Windows 8... which says a lot. ;)

To be fair, the Precision range are aimed at people doing CAD or computation work, neither of whom would necessarily be in the core audience for early Win8 adoption. The OptiPlex & Latitude ranges are being offered to us with Win8, but if anyone asked me for a Precision with Win 8 I'd be giving them the hairy eyeball :P

What??? No optimized for touchscreens 3DS Max App in the Windows Store yet? Bummer... ;)

Not sure I understand the point about Dell discontinuing support for the Precision T3400....

1. There are lots of downloads available on their support site.

2. The downloads are for all OS up to, and including, Windows 7.

Windows 7 post-dates the end of the Precision series, doesn't it?

Apologies if I'm being thick! ;)

D.

Ps. For what it's worth, I use mine for digital photo editing and Photoshop. Files are 120mb to 2gb in size. Handles them with ease. See no reason to change yet. I switched to Windows 8 coz Vista was driving me nuts.

• Advertisement

They're not discontinuing the support for the Precision T3400, they just do not offer support for Windows 8 on these computers. It doesn't mean you can't install it, but you're on your own. If you want up-to-date drivers, you'll have to look elsewhere, i.e. the part manufacturer (go by vendor and device ID) or Microsoft (Windows Update).

They're not discontinuing the support for the Precision T3400, they just do not offer support for Windows 8 on these computers. It doesn't mean you can't install it, but you're on your own. If you want up-to-date drivers, you'll have to look elsewhere, i.e. the part manufacturer (go by vendor and device ID) or Microsoft (Windows Update).

Ahah! Now I understand.

There's very little on this machine - mostly photography related programs. I use a laptop for everything else.

I have Windows Update on auto, so I only really need to update the graphics card ( they email me) and Photoshop etc.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,763 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As a general rule, most of the drivers for Win 7 will work on Win 8

If it helps, I've had a Precision 390, T3400 and now a 690 and they've run everything from XP to Win 7 and 8, Server 2003/2008/2012 without any issues

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

If it helps, I've had a Precision 390, T3400 and now a 690 and they've run everything from XP to Win 7 and 8, Server 2003/2008/2012 without any issues

I was going to mention that I've got a Precision 390 running Win 8 at home quite happily - only issue (and it's very minor) is that my monitor res isn't high enough for Metro snapping. But then I haven't yet used a Metro app beyond the Store, so I really couldn't care any less :D

Thanks. I think I'll return to the Dell update page and filter the search for anything Windows 7, & see what happens.

D.

Usually they work just fine, even Vista drivers sometimes do (recently slapped Windows 8 onto an old Dimension 5150 P4 HT using the GMA950 Vista driver offered by Dell). Most component manufacturers just do not bother with getting drivers for legacy hardware certified for the latest Windows version (saves them the WHQL fee MS is asking for, I suppose) and OEMs subsequently do not offer new drivers for their older systems.

Thanks. I think I'll return to the Dell update page and filter the search for anything Windows 7, & see what happens.

D.

Any unknown devices in the device manager?

Any unknown devices in the device manager?

Nope. All present and correct.

I now have BIOS 14 installed. (I've checked via Belarc) Yet, if I go back to the DELL download page and filter for Windows 7 x64bit, it still offers me the BIOS as one of the downloads.

None of the downloads is marked Urgent, and given what I use this machine for, I think I'll leave well enough alone now.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,763 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope. All present and correct.

I now have BIOS 14 installed. (I've checked via Belarc) Yet, if I go back to the DELL download page and filter for Windows 7 x64bit, it still offers me the BIOS as one of the downloads.

None of the downloads is marked Urgent, and given what I use this machine for, I think I'll leave well enough alone now.

Thanks.

D.

The download page will show you everything available for the operating system you select - regardless of whether you have it installed or not :)

If you've no unknown devices in Device Manager I'd run Windows Update from Control Panel and when it comes back to say there's x number of updates, click the view button and choose all the urgent/recommended updates listed which should cover anything else.

Advertisement