Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will i be entitled to disability allowance once married

Options
  • 31-01-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi, i'm getting full disability allowance at the moment, however im getting married in the summer and my husband earns 25,500 euro a year. Will i be entitled to this benefit after i get married, i also have a medical card, will this be affected. She is moving into my parents house with me when we get married for the 1st while.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Your joint means will be assessed, but 50k is disregarded.

If your both over 25 then living with parents shouldn't matter.
    Income from spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's work

If your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant works it can affect your Disability Allowance.
    Your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's weekly earnings (from employment, including rehabilitiative employment) are assessed as follows:
    Weekly earnings are gross earnings less PRSI, superannuation (pension payments) and union dues.

€20 per day (up to a maximum of €60) from work is deducted from your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's average weekly earnings and then 60% of the balance is assessed as weekly means. The weekly means is then deducted from the combined total of your personal rate of Disability Allowance and the maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult and any Increases for Qualified Children (if applicable). This formula does not apply to income from self-employment (all income from self-employment is assessed and there are no disregards).

If you were getting Disability Allowance before 26 September 2007 and you were still in payment on 26 September 2007, your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's earnings will be assessed under the new means assessment to find out whether you are better off.

If you would get a greater amount of Disability Allowance on the previous assessment then you will continue to be assessed using the previous method of calculating means from employment.

If your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's means have changed, for any reason, since 26 September 2007, you cannot apply the previous method of calculating means from employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but what do you mean by 50k is disregarded?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

cotton wrote: »
    Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but what do you mean by 50k is disregarded?

Means test

Disability Allowance is a means-tested payment. To get the allowance your total means must be below a certain amount. The main items that count as means are:
    • Cash income that you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant may have. More information is available in our document about cash income not included in the means test.
    • Capital, for example, the value of savings, investments, shares, any property you may have (other than your own home). However, the first €50,000 of any capital you have is not taken into account. More information is available in our document about capital and social welfare payments.
    from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Quick calculation you might still get euro50 - euro60 per week

Advertisement