Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Lost Son - RTE

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see this program in December on RTE?
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/alostson.html

It followed Michael McDowell researching the life and death of his uncle Brian MacNeill, son of Eoin who fought on the opposite in the civil war. I thought it was interesting and reasonably well made. I wasn't a fan of McDowell in politics but he's a decent presenter for this type of show (his Michael Collins in the "best Irish person" thing was good too).

Anyway, on to my nosy question. At the start, he was in a derelict house in Malahide which still had furniture and curtains. They never showed the outside and I missed the name. Does anyone know whereabouts? Malahide is such a built up area now: it's hard to believe there's a fine old derelict house in its own grounds that's not commonly known about.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I saw that program - v. interesting

I think that house may be named Hazelbrook.... in the townland of the same name

see : UCD Library/Images

here's HazelBrook in 1837 (1st Ed. OSI)

and c1900 and Google satellite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You genius!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

ya I saw this programme, ironic to think that Michael Collins is mcdowells hero condisdering he was the former minister for justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ya I saw this programme, ironic to think that Michael Collins is mcdowells hero condisdering he was the former minister for justice.

Why do you think it ironic?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Why do you think it ironic?

I just explained why I thought it was ironic. The former minster of justice having a terrorist as his hero.

• Advertisement

I just explained why I thought it was ironic. The former minster of justice having a terrorist as his hero.

You didn't explain that you consider Michael Collins to have been a terrorist.

You didn't explain that you consider Michael Collins to have been a terrorist.

Well I wouldn't have done so but the British would have.

Well I wouldn't have done so but the British would have.

For some reason you seem to be contradicting yourself.

For some reason you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Normally I use different user names to avoid that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Shows McDowells hypocrisy if he has someone like Collins as his hero given his disdain for republicans

Or maybe he likes the fact that Collins had his former comrades killed

• Advertisement

couldn't of put it better myself

GRMA wrote: »
    Shows McDowells hypocrisy if he has someone like Collins as his hero given his disdain for republicans

Or maybe he likes the fact that Collins had his former comrades killed

It's just as well that some people decided that there was an old and new IRA, so they could avoid hypocrisy when choosing heroes.

I don't like McDowell, but I wouldn't call him a hypocrite for thinking Michael Collins a hero.

Advertisement