Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound stopped working on Raspberry Pi

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Two Sd cards one with Raspbian Wheezy one with Fedora 17 Remix. Both happily playing sound through speakers connected to the Pi.

Late yesterday both stopped playing sound. Just get the odd crackle through the speakers.

On the Wheezy I can play movies using omxplayer but now they are silent.

I have tried all combination of leads, speakers and headphones but absolutely no sound except the odd crackle when a song starts or ends or as the speakers are plugged in/out.

Everything else seems to be working as normal. The Openvpn server accepts connections, Asterisk works you can leave voice messages which are emailed and the message is audible when played on the recipients computer.

So sound is heard, recorded and saved.however cannot be played.

I don't have an HDMI device I can connect to it so I don't know if sound over HDMI works or not.

Could it be a hardware problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What were you doing when you lost sound?
    Could it be a hardware problem?

Yes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I'm not sure what exactly I was doing as it didn't stop mid stream. I had been playing music earlier and was trying to play a video I had converted to flv on another machine. It wouldn't play any sound so I tried playing music using VLC as usual and it failed.

I've tried removing and reinstalling VLC and have tried other players but no success.

What I have found is omxplayer will play movies complete with sound, if the audio codec used for conversion is aac, but not if the audio codec is the default for flv.

Strangely VLC will not play an audio file coded in aac which it will play on other machines both Linux and Windows.

So it's not hardware I don't really want to reimage and reinstall OpenVPn and Asterisk and and anything else I've installed.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Another question any idea why a share on a Windows machine which is activated at boot and is accessible does not update i.e. if a file is added to it on the Windows machine it doesn't show on the Pi unless the share is remounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

You can dump the image of the sd card to file and restore it later after testing a fresh install.

(search for "dd" command)

P.S. If you're a windows user there might be a tool to do the same. "dd" command is a linux tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

True I hadn't thought of saving the image before starting again. I use both Linux and Windows so its no problem.

Advertisement