Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's traffic like in the mornings?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Dublin n00b here, looking for some advice on what it's like to drive around Dublin in the mornings?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've accepted a job in Tallaght and am moving down in the next few weeks. I haven't found anywhere to live yet, and was originally looking along Luas and now bus routes to Tallaght.

But if I did decide to drive, along the m50, and lived somewhere with easy access to the M50, how crazy could I expect the traffic to be at rush-hour?

I'm quite nervous about driving in new places and have heard horror stories about Dub road rage! So any advice would be appreciated.

GRMA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Depends really what time you leave at and where you are coming from?

I can't really answer for Tallaght area but I live in north Dublin and travel into Dublin City center each morning on the m1.
    If I leave 6.20am - no traffic on the roads, journey takes about 30 mins.
    7am - busy enough journey takes about 40-45 mins,
    however if I leave anytime between 8-9 traffic is crazy and sometimes has taken anything up to and HR 30 mins to get into work!

I am assuming by different traffic reports each morning on the radio, traffic on the M50 is just as bad.
    I work with a girl who lives near the tallaght area and refuses to drive because of the heavy traffic, so takes the Luas which gets her in promptly enough but it can be quite packed in the mornings and evenings - so not always grantee a comfortable journey but that does for all public transport in Dublin IMO :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I travel Finglas-City Centre everyday and by god the traffic is nearly back at boom time levels! I leave between 7.30am and 7.50am each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

The advantage for me would be that I would be going AGAINST the traffic - from somewhere in south dublin to the m50, then the m50 round to tallaght

anyone have insight on this sort of set-up?

my cousin lives in dublin and swears that the m50 is not bad at all if you only have to go a few exits. not sure whether to take his word for it though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The advantage for me would be that I would be going AGAINST the traffic - from somewhere in south dublin to the m50, then the m50 round to tallaght

anyone have insight on this sort of set-up?

my cousin lives in dublin and swears that the m50 is not bad at all if you only have to go a few exits. not sure whether to take his word for it though!

The M50 moves really well from what i remember, its when you get off the M50 and onto the urban roads. Where exactly have you to get from and to?

kceire wrote: »

The M50 moves really well from what i remember, its when you get off the M50 and onto the urban roads. Where exactly have you to get from and to?

thats the prpblem really, im decidinh where i live based off traffic etc so i havent decided that yet! although i will be travelling to the square shopping centre in tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

The M50, even at rush, is normally grand. However, if there's any incident things back up quickly, and usually in both directions with rubberneckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Because you are going to Tallaght, if you choose anywhere ont he southside, you will have no problems. The traffic in the mornings heads toward the city centre and away from the city centre in the evenings so as long as you are against that you wont have a worry!

I say southside becuase if you live on the northside, you will have to travel toward the city centre and past it to get to tallaght so you will hit traffic on the first half of the trip.

You guys are awesomely helpful as usual!

Thank you so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Hey, I work in The Square, coming from the south side, not having to take the M50 but driving over it (coming from Templeogue side) Most days I'm in for 8am, traffic is fine, the M50 moves smoothly. However, if I need to be in at 9am, I have to add at least another 30mins onto my journey due to the amount of schools in the area. Something to bear in mind. Coming into Tallaght at any other time is fine, and I've never experienced bad delays coming home. Hope this helps!

Thanks supersheeps. If you did need to be in for 9am, how long would it take you to get there from Templeogue?

Also, whereabouts do you park near the square?

thanks a million for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think parking will be your biggest concern, it is so darn expensive in Dublin. I know people who pay €250 a month for a parking space in Citywest, insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi guys,

Dublin n00b here, looking for some advice on what it's like to drive around Dublin in the mornings?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've accepted a job in Tallaght and am moving down in the next few weeks. I haven't found anywhere to live yet, and was originally looking along Luas and now bus routes to Tallaght.

But if I did decide to drive, along the m50, and lived somewhere with easy access to the M50, how crazy could I expect the traffic to be at rush-hour?

I'm quite nervous about driving in new places and have heard horror stories about Dub road rage! So any advice would be appreciated.

GRMA

Most mornings i join the M50 at J12 to go northbound and 50/50 on been delayed on it,As a previous poster mentioned, If theres an accident...Expect a large delay with hold ups but once your cleared it your grand, I leave at 7.50 and get to M1 turnoff at 8.20 (Moving well traffic), If i left later,School traffic would slow me down dramatically, Ideally if you can get a spot near a luas line or your bus route,Your laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ACCA associate

Hello everyone, I’m going to travel to Citywest from north side via M50, the traffic is quieter because kids are off school on holidays, how would it be normally like in the morning time when kids are back to school, if I take the junction9 exit? Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hello everyone, I’m going to travel to Citywest from north side via M50, the traffic is quieter because kids are off school on holidays, how would it be normally like in the morning time when kids are back to school, if I take the junction9 exit? Thanks a mill!

I recently quit a job in Naas, living on the Northside, purely because of the traffic.

Prepare for an hour or more from September 1st, if you're travelling between 7 and 9am southbound, just to get where you're going.

Search the traffic data here for the times you will be travelling. I found up to about 800 total vehicles per direction per 10 minutes and it flows OK, allowing for no accidents. Anything more than that and it starts to grind to a halt. Above 1000 is just bedlam.

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/calendar_alt.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001508

Advertisement