Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Win 8 from XP

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I was thinking of grabbing Win 8 while it is still a cheap deal. The only thing is that I'm planning to build a new PC, hoping to keep the same hard drive but may end up having to change it.

If I upgrade on my current PC is it possible to transfer the OS over to a new hard drive after?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,133 ✭✭✭✭unkel

YngSeal wrote: »
    I was thinking of grabbing Win 8 while it is still a cheap deal.

You have about 24h left. Get on with it! :)
    YngSeal wrote: »
    I'm planning to build a new PC, hoping to keep the same hard drive but may end up having to change it.

If I upgrade on my current PC is it possible to transfer the OS over to a new hard drive after?

No, the upgrade offer is only valid for the computer you are upgrading. You are not allowed to use it on any other computer

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YngSeal

Cheers for the reply.

I grabbed it anyway, was only €30. Hopefully it'll be grand but the first attempt ended with a "failed to install" message. Didn't seem to give any other info.

I'll try again this evening, anyone else have issues going from XP to Win 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,133 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What error exactly did it come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

It could be that your processor doesn't have nx for security in windows 8.

unkel wrote: »
    What error exactly did it come up with?

It just said "failed to install" I think. It was late so I just switched off and didn't investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i went from xp to 8 with no problems

on the same pc

So, still failing to get through an entire install. I'm attempting to create a boot file on a USB and see if installing from this helps at all. It seems to be suggested a lot.

I don't think its the NX thing as the error message doesn't seem to be the same.

Advertisement