Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did *any* Catholic churches, priories etc stay open during the Penal Laws?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

The thread on the 300th anniversary this year of St Brigid's Church in Stillorgan got me thinking.

How is this explained historically, that a church belonging to the Catholic Church is dated to 1713? Was it originally a Church of Ireland?

Similarly, the Diocese of Clonfert website's entry for Meelick Church in east Galway states 'Oldest Catholic Church in use states 'Meelick has the oldest Irish Roman Catholic church with continuous use since 1414 AD' (here)?

I know that the British required Catholic priests to register with them in Ireland during the Penal Laws, and there was a proposal to brandish on the face all unregistered Catholic priests who were caught in the country (cited in Maureen Wall's superb The Penal Laws) but I thought all Catholic churches were closed during the Penal Laws?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Apparently there was some blind eye turning...

http://www.stpatricksparishdundalk.org/history
    "On a Sunday morning in late summer of 1748, the officer commanding the Dundalk garrison was returning from an early morning canter,when he noticed at St. Helena's Quay, a crowd of people assembled in and around an old shed. On enquiry he was told that they were Catholics attending Mass. Despite the fact that it was a penal offence, the officer was so impressed by the people's fidelity to their religion that he persuaded the first Earl of Clanbrassil to grant the Catholics of the town a site for a permanent church."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Seanchai wrote: »
    The thread on the 300th anniversary this year of St Brigid's Church in Stillorgan got me thinking.

How is this explained historically, that a church belonging to the Catholic Church is dated to 1713? Was it originally a Church of Ireland?

St. Bridgid's Stillorgan is Church of Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Ballintubber Abbey, Mayo.

In continuous use sincie early C 13th. Roof was off for some time. Now fully restored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Seanchai wrote: »

Similarly, the Diocese of Clonfert website's entry for Meelick Church in east Galway states 'Oldest Catholic Church in use states 'Meelick has the oldest Irish Roman Catholic church with continuous use since 1414 AD' (here)?

I know that the British required Catholic priests to register with them in Ireland during the Penal Laws, and there was a proposal to brandish on the face all unregistered Catholic priests who were caught in the country (cited in Maureen Wall's superb The Penal Laws) but I thought all Catholic churches were closed during the Penal Laws?

Definitely worth picking up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

GRMA wrote: »
    Definitely worth picking up?

Yes. I have a a 50p copy, published by Dundalgan Press for the Dublin Historical Assoc 1976 (!) Only about 70 pages but it opened up my perspective completely.
    This site gives a good view on the Penal Laws and quotes Wall extensively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement