Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat MPG

Options
  • 30-01-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

I am considering a VW Passat as my next car and was wondering what current owners are getting to the gallon. It will probably be the 1.6 diesel I go for.

My current car is a BMW 320D and I am getting around 65 miles to €10 (average price of 149.9 per litre). I think that works out at around 44 mpg. Hopefully I'm right with my calculation.

Would the Passat get 50 mpg?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

We have a 1.6tdi octavia and its doing 54 mpg mixed driving. The passat has the same engine so it should do 50mpg easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The last Passat 1.6tdi (2012) I drove had 6.4l per 100 on the trip computer, no idea what that is in old money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The last Passat 1.6tdi (2012) I drove had 6.4l per 100 on the trip computer, no idea what that is in old money!

That's 44mpg which is bad but if the car was near new it took about 10k km before our octavia started becoming good on fuel. I wouldn't trust them trip computers. Ours normally says 5.4 l per 100 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

44mpg

http://www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm

In fairness it was a rental car, so probably spent most of it's life going very fast, or very slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Pretty good. The 1.6 petrol I have seems to be always around 10L / 100 km . It's so underpowered that my right foot is semi-permanently to the floor.

By way of comparison my 1.4tsi does 7.4l per 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I drove a 2012 1.6tdi Audi a3 recently while getting a service on mine and thought it very underpowered, I nearly lost the will to live, the 2l 140bhp tdi in the passat is a far far nicer engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Passat weighs alot more than an Octavia so the 1.6 TDi is not going to be the most efficent in it. OP, I think you are going to be disappointed coming from a 320d to a 1.6 TDi Passat. Even taking driving dynamics out of the equation the 1.6 TDi is just going to feel dead compared to your 320d. You really need to be looking at the 2.0 TDi and I would wager that fuel economy would be just as good as the 1.6 TDi but with bags more torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Pretty good. The 1.6 petrol I have seems to be always around 10L / 100 km . It's so underpowered that my right foot is semi-permanently to the floor.
    By way of comparison my 1.4tsi does 7.4l per 100.

I get 7.4l/100km in my 1.6 petrol. That's 38mpg and have seen 40+ on occasion. They're brim to brim figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Passat weighs alot more than an Octavia so the 1.6 TDi is not going to be the most efficent in it. OP, I think you are going to be disappointed coming from a 320d to a 1.6 TDi Passat. Even taking driving dynamics out of the equation the 1.6 TDi is just going to feel dead compared to your 320d. You really need to be looking at the 2.0 TDi and I would wager that fuel economy would be just as good as the 1.6 TDi but with bags more torque.

Passat weighs about 100kg more than the Octavia and is .4 seconds slower to 100km/h also, hardly the greatest deficit?

Still agree though, I'd be having the 2.0 myself, for the extra grunt I'd happily sacrifice a few mpg although I reckon it would be more or less then same for both engines economy wise anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ecospace

Currently have a 2010 2.0 l Cr tdi. Consistently does 5.5 l / 100 km mixed driving. That's 51mpg. Will do 4.3 on long motorway runs. Great motor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ecospace

Currently have a 2010 2.0 l Cr tdi. Consistently does 5.5 l / 100 km mixed driving. That's 51mpg. Will do 4.3 on long motorway runs. Great motor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

dunno if it's even relevant; but dad has an 08 Passat estate Bluemotion, does half country and half national roads, he's on about 55 mpg (4.28 l/100km)

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    I get 7.4l/100km in my 1.6 petrol. That's 38mpg and have seen 40+ on occasion. They're brim to brim figures

You're doing very well with that 1.6, 9l/100km approx is typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I have the 1.6 diesel Passat a few months now and the mpg is excellent on long motorway trips, but drops dramatically on city driving. The 1.6 engine is very sluggish and will be heavy on juice in 'stop start' situations due to the weight of the car. You may find yourself driving the car with a heavier foot just to get it going and this will kill mpg. From a driving perspective you will be in for a big step down from a 320d. The car itself is quite spacious and has a decent boot....go for the 2.0l if it's within your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mikofo

i have an 09 passat 1.9 tdi which does an average 6.3 liters per 100 km.. you wont do much better bar you bring it around on a tow truck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

mikofo wrote: »
    i have an 09 passat 1.9 tdi which does an average 6.3 liters per 100 km.. you wont do much better bar you bring it around on a tow truck

What year is it? Thought you'd would be getting better than that tbh. Depends what kind of mileage you're doing too.

I'm beating that (with a faulty thermostat) on my 2005 1.9tid Saab.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Afaik the read out on the trip computer in the Passat is off, I've heard other VW forums that's a known issue that can be corrected via VCDS. The MDI on my 1.6 Passat TDI usually stays at ~6.4l/100km, where I know it does closer to 5.5l/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mikofo

those figures are calculated on basis of fuel purchased and distance travelled between fills and entered on the pumps.ie fuel recorder and not car trip computer

• Advertisement
Advertisement