Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Goods from China

Options
  • 30-01-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm been talking to a lot of suppliers in china for prices on goods that i want delivered to Ireland.

I just wanted to ask has anyone got experience on getting goods delivered from china via sea freight? Not worried so much about costs involved...

I did ship over a 20ft container a few years back, I had a vat registered business back then and had to pay vat on the goods when they entered the country and also paid an agent to clear the goods and arrange delivery to my door.

I don't have a registered business at present and I'm wondering what the situation is when importing goods and not been vat registered?

Would really appreciate any help..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

It's the same, except you can't claim the VAT back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

this topic has been discussed every week! Use the search box above for China Duty etc and you will get tons of info.

cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Jasksta wrote: »
    I'm been talking to a lot of suppliers in china for prices on goods that i want delivered to Ireland.

I just wanted to ask has anyone got experience on getting goods delivered from china via sea freight? Not worried so much about costs involved...

I did ship over a 20ft container a few years back, I had a vat registered business back then and had to pay vat on the goods when they entered the country and also paid an agent to clear the goods and arrange delivery to my door.

I don't have a registered business at present and I'm wondering what the situation is when importing goods and not been vat registered?

Would really appreciate any help..

Hello Jaksta,

in relation to imports from China, bear in mind that depending on the commodity involved, you are likely to have to pay duty and VAT.

If you are bringing in the goods purely for private use / consumption, then there would be no need to register for VAT. However, if you intend to supply companies that are registered for VAT, I would recommend to re-register for VAT.

reason being ;

1) You can claim the VAT paid on importation back. Otherwise you have to add 23% to your cost price ......
    2) If you deal with VAT registered companies, they can claim the VAT back that you would charge.

Even if you are unlikely to reach the threshold after which you HAVE to register for VAT, for reasons described above it would make sense to do so.

In terms of costs, drop me a PM and I will work on some costs for you and help you figure out the rate of duty

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Am I alone in thinking that this topic ( China, USA , EU, VAT Duty, Freight costs, customs clearance) could do with a sticky? . I have have failed to get anywhere with the mods in this regard.

+1 this if you agree

Peter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Along with:

How do I start my business for less than €1.37? What should that business do? What should I call that business?

Who can I use for credit card processing/where should I get a merchant account?

Which e-commerce solution do people recommend?

• Advertisement

Am I alone in thinking that this topic ( China, USA , EU, VAT Duty, Freight costs, customs clearance) could do with a sticky? . I have have failed to get anywhere with the mods in this regard.

+1 this if you agree

Peter
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

+1 this if you agree

Peter

Definitely, a general thread on importing, vat, duty, the number for revenue in Nenagh and so on.

Hi Guys.

This is a document that I have posted before. Granted it could do with some updating.

Feel free to review it and give some feedback on what else you think should go into this document (or could come out).

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement