Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF 390 loader

Options
  • 30-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello
    Im thinking of putting a loader on the 390. Want to stack bales of silage. Its 4WD, 1995. Good tractor. Currently draw in bales 1 at a time on the carrier. Looking at idea of trailer that can take 4/6 and loader to load them and unload them. Will 390 handle them alright?Thinking of the 880 loader or similiar. Never had loader so not sure what to buy, how much to pay etc. I guess 390 would get abuse by carrying 1 bale on back and 1 on front from field to stack. SO id be planning on having 1 tractor on trailer and i carry 1 with me from field. That bale then works as a counterweight at the stack.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

MF loaders are re badged quickes with a price premium attached or the modern ones are anyhow. The quicke Q740 should sit perfectly on that tractor.
    Once you get one you won't k ow how you Lived without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

mf2909 wrote: »
    Hello
    Im thinking of putting a loader on the 390. Want to stack bales of silage. Its 4WD, 1995. Good tractor. Currently draw in bales 1 at a time on the carrier. Looking at idea of trailer that can take 4/6 and loader to load them and unload them. Will 390 handle them alright?Thinking of the 880 loader or similiar. Never had loader so not sure what to buy, how much to pay etc. I guess 390 would get abuse by carrying 1 bale on back and 1 on front from field to stack. SO id be planning on having 1 tractor on trailer and i carry 1 with me from field. That bale then works as a counterweight at the stack.

just a quick question do many fellas wrap in teh field and then draw in the bales?

I dont know of too many that do that, and none down here. we draw the bales in and wrap in the yard (contractor has a keltec and tanco auto warpper on teleporter). less handling of the bales and less likely to get torn or damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mf2909

MF loaders are re badged quickes with a price premium attached or the modern ones are anyhow. The quicke Q740 should sit perfectly on that tractor.
    Once you get one you won't k ow how you Lived without it.

Thanks junior.
    I see. As i said i dont have any experience of loaders. WOuld the Q740 be cheaper alternative? Ive priced a few but prices from 1500 up to as much as i want...

yellow50HX wrote: »
    just a quick question do many fellas wrap in teh field and then draw in the bales?

I dont know of too many that do that, and none down here. we draw the bales in and wrap in the yard (contractor has a keltec and tanco auto warpper on teleporter). less handling of the bales and less likely to get torn or damaged.

Thanks Yellow. None up this way (west) that i have seen wrap in yard. I agree its a better option but they only wrap after baler in field here.

We always draw in and wrap in the yard. Don't know what you'd pay for a loader but a guy down the road has one for sale. It was on a 4370 he bought and was just too small, front wheels were hitting the loader when he locked with the loader down. I can check price for you or pm you his number if you want to call him.

• Advertisement

Meant to say he doesn't have brackets to suit you though. You'd need to source them separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

when im drawing bales (from about 12 miles away) i bring six on a lowloader,it would take 8 and if i had the loader on the tractor i could put ten on....i manage fine putting them up with the bale lifter on the back.

Masseymad wrote: »
    when im drawing bales (from about 12 miles away) i bring six on a lowloader,it would take 8 and if i had the loader on the tractor i could put ten on....i manage fine putting them up with the bale lifter on the back.
    Yes i been thinking of that too masseymad. Thing is i want to stack in the yard to save space. I seen one of those Cashels stackers working one day. Seem v good but im told you cannot carry bale far with them

Meant to say he doesn't have brackets to suit you though. You'd need to source them separately.
    Thanks Junior. Ill hold for now and see what i find out but if i need i will come back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Have been to Mullingar twice last week. On both days I passed a fellow near The Fox's Covert with a Fiat 1000 two wheel drive and a silage bale on the back, with another on the front loader. He was tipping along nicely, so I cannot see your 390 having any problems! (Fiat 1000 last made in 1976)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I guess 390 would get abuse by carrying 1 bale on back and 1 on front from field to stack

No really, it should be fine. we move all our bales like that with a 4245

No really, it should be fine. we move all our bales like that with a 4245
    Thanks Frank, What loader do you use on the 4245?

What money would i expect to pay for a loader for the 390? I only have two spool valves so may have to go the block route or go joystick.
    Thanks for all the replies lads

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

thinking of afront loader myself,lots of second hand ones on donedeal,getting brackets is another thing though.priced anew quicke last year €8000 fitted inc vat and arossmore was €6000.

Nobbies wrote: »
    thinking of afront loader myself,lots of second hand ones on donedeal,getting brackets is another thing though.priced anew quicke last year €8000 fitted inc vat and arossmore was €6000.

ouch.... I only make 200 or so bales of silage so new out of question.:confused: And if suckling margins get any tighter well thats another story / post

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

390,s are common with loaders so i,de say uwould pick one up second hand and brackets too suit handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

Yes i been thinking of that too masseymad. Thing is i want to stack in the yard to save space. I seen one of those Cashels stackers working one day. Seem v good but im told you cannot carry bale far with them

them cashels bale stackers can definatly carry bales long distances..and they come with a bale lifter that can be removed from it (a second hand 1 would cost you around 850-900):)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

Is there a joystick in a 390? ,any of yee know?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jp6470

390 with a chilliton loader here.a 1992 and for years it wintered cattle with round bales,lifting,its not really any worst of today.
    But it's a good loader with the brackets going in under to back axle and alway used a weight block.
    It's in semi retirement now,what with a telescopic in the yard.but still called upon for straw etc handy for road journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iliketomoveit

We have a loader on our 390T, got on grand with it for about the last five years, however we got a different contractor this year, and he really packs the silage into the bales, supposedly each bale weighs a tonne, and the loader won't lift the occasional one, and on a lot of them it is just struggling.

I have been looking into it and according to this link, if you have a larger sized piston you will have more power in the loader, it wouldnbe worth talking to someone who knows about hydraulics about this

Ours was kind of a professional home made loader :rolleyes:

Also, try and get a loader that can push down, a lot of them don't. Ours just drops down, you can't push the loader down into anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭emaherx

We have a loader on our 390T, got on grand with it for about the last five years, however we got a different contractor this year, and he really packs the silage into the bales, supposedly each bale weighs a tonne, and the loader won't lift the occasional one, and on a lot of them it is just struggling.

I have been looking into it and according to this link, if you have a larger sized piston you will have more power in the loader, it wouldnbe worth talking to someone who knows about hydraulics about this

Also, try and get a loader that can push down, a lot of them don't. Ours just drops down, you can't push the loader down into anything

Sounds like there is something wrong with your tractors hydraulics. 390t should be able to lift the heaviest of silage bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

emaherx wrote: »
    Sounds like there is something wrong with your tractors hydraulics. 390t should be able to lift the heaviest of silage bales.

Yeah I'd agree, we had loader on a 390T before and it lifted heavy bales no bother. I presume that there is plenty of oil in it and hydraulic oil filter on front right side of engine are ok? There's also an metal gauze oil filter up in the rear axle housing near the left back wheel. If these check out ok, then I think you may contact your local garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Thanks Frank, What loader do you use on the 4245?

Just seen your question there!
    Its a quicke loader, painted in MF colours.

Is there a joystick in a 390? ,any of yee know?
    Thanks
    A Joystick would come with a loader if ordered or if loader is fitted with it But there would not be any fitted to a tractor. I was told a joystick loader kit would cost about €800 +. That would be if i was buying a loader and say i wanted it joystick controlled.

What baler is he using that has made such a difference?

I picked up a good loader. Its an MF815 (would have been manufactured by Steelfab). I have a samll problem, My tractor is 1995 and the brackets came off a 1996 tractor, And there is a change in the front ent where the brackets bolt on. Mine has a square block with 4 holes, the 1996 have 4 holes but an oblong (best way i can describe it) block. Result the brackets dont line up to fit correctly. Woudl anyone have 815 brackest for square block? Or whats my best option?, Should i go to engineering company and see can i get shange made to them?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

I picked up a good loader. Its an MF815 (would have been manufactured by Steelfab). I have a samll problem, My tractor is 1995 and the brackets came off a 1996 tractor, And there is a change in the front ent where the brackets bolt on. Mine has a square block with 4 holes, the 1996 have 4 holes but an oblong (best way i can describe it) block. Result the brackets dont line up to fit correctly. Woudl anyone have 815 brackest for square block? Or whats my best option?, Should i go to engineering company and see can i get shange made to them?
    Thanks

Does the plate cover over the holes in your block? If it does you may get away with just getting it bored to suit?

I can only get one bolt in, it needs the four. There isnt enough room to rebore as it would make the holes only bigger. Looks like an engineering job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 purerooter

I am facing the same problem with fitting an 815 loader on a 390. The brackets came off a newer model and the holes are different pattern near the front axle. Has anyone done it and was there much work involved? Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement